quatorze

Swoop/ surf instruction please

I need some help. I started flying my saber 150 loaded at about 1.2 or so about 30 jumps ago and on the first 2 or so landings I had great surfs, then it became sporadic, 3 jumps 1 surf and so on. What I have been told is to go to half brakes to plane out and then to full flare when all the speed has bled off, is it a mental block, muscle memory thing that is continually causing me just to flare and stand? BTW I am not any where near considering low alt carves for the swoop, I fly a standard low time jumper pattern and have no intentions of changing anytime soon, so please don't flame me on that one. Any other surf/swoop tips would be great, just trying to enjoy something that I seem to have forgotten how to do.

P.S. From day one I have stood up all my landings, except for 1... tree... (insert varios vulgar phrase here)

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

I> need some help. I started flying my saber 150 loaded at about 1.2 or so about 30 >jumps ago and on the first 2 or so landings I had great surfs, then it became sporadic, 3 >jumps 1 surf and so on. What I have been told is to go to half brakes to plane out and >then to full flare when all the speed has bled off, is it a mental block, muscle memory >thing that is continually causing me just to flare and stand? BTW I am not any where >near considering low alt carves for the swoop, I fly a standard low time jumper pattern >and have no intentions of changing anytime soon, so please don't flame me on that one. >Any other surf/swoop tips would be great, just trying to enjoy something that I seem to >have forgotten how to do.
Based on the # of jumps you have in your profile, I'd say that it would probably be a good idea to learn some more important things before learning to swoop. Such as, flat turns, and other things that will probably save your butt one day. That being said, I jump a sabre 150 loaded at about 1.5. Currently, I do a carving front riser 90 a bit higher and end up on both front risers before surfing. I;ve found that the key is to let up your risers smoothly when releasing allowing you to maintain your speed. Just letting them snap up will result in a bit of a buck, and you'll burn off some of your speed. Also, when I initiate the turn, I'm actually pulling on the opposite riser slightly so that I start the dive almost immediately, and it's a smoother transition to both fronts.

Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

Isaber 150 loaded at about 1.2 or so

That loading is perfect for your experience level. At such a low wing loading, however, your surfing distance will be greatly affected by the amount of wind. Even a 2 mph change in wind speed will have a noticeable effect on the amount of surf you'll get.

Aside from that: Your brakes toggles do exactly what they suggest: Besides flaring your canopy they slow it down. So the part you mentioned about planing out the canopy is pretty much correct... you want to give just enough *brake* to keep you off the ground. Any more will slow you down and decrease the length of your surf. So after you plane out, you'll start noticing that you surf a little, then start sinking toward the ground again... so keep feeding just enough brake toggle to continue to keep you off the ground. Then when you're out of brake or near your canopy's stall point (don't stall it though).. it's time to put feet down (or always PLF is you're uncertain about the safety about putting weight on legs.. though you shouldn't have much problem with this at 1.2 wing loading while you're not inducing any extra speed)

Chris

I have a Sabre II at 1.3, not quite half brakes to surf. You will need to play with brakes a couple times to find the "right" spot. Then, as was already mentioned, continue applying brakes gradually until you lose forward speed. Go to full flare, run and smile!

.....Go to full flare, run and smile!

Forget that running comment, that is if you want to avoid unneccessary wipe-outs. At a low wingload, you ought to be able to completely stop your main. If you cannot stop it, then "put down your landing gear" and scrub off speed that way. You ought never have to take more than two steps; if you hit the ground running, then you will eventually ball it up on your face. This is especially true when landing crosswind and downwind; always slide, just like you did in when you were a kid wearing socks sliding down a hallway with tile or wooden floors. At the end of the slide, simply come to a complete stop or take a step or two to catch your ballance.

Chuck

FreeflyanviL: I have noticed that with my Sabre that my best results are usually achieved by using a little bit of the opposite riser has resulted in faster approach speeds. If I just crank down on one the speed builds very nicely but the canopy will plane out by itself and climb 10-15 feet.

I prefer to do a 180 or so but have found that 90's are far easier for me to control.
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

In reply to "put down your landing gear and scrub of the speed" that is the only way you should try to stop instead of running it out. i learned that one from trial and error, running out a landing from a 180 hook turn, went face first and came to a stop on my hands and knees. ultimately ripping all the flesh of my knees. after that i have never run out a landing, always slide it out.