SkymonkeyONE

Swoop meet this weekend at ASC

I will be at the swoop meet this Saturday(May 11th) at ASC outside of Atlanta, GA. My buddy Hans Paulson just called and told me about it. For those interested, here are the particulars as I know them:
Registration is at 0800 on Saturday
Six rounds of competiton including Distance, Target Accuracy (kick the foam things), and stop accuracy (swoop the pond then stop on a target at the end of the lake).
Entrance fee is $150 plus jumps ($10 bucks a whack)
Not sure about the prize money.
I am driving down from Fayetteville, NC tomorrow at lunch and practicing all day Friday. I plan on competing Saturday, partying that night on the DZ, then driving back home first thing Sunday morning.
Atlanta people who want to see some first rate competitors throw down the swoopy-wompus ought to put aside the policics and meet me there. Jim Slaton is flying in from California tomorrow night. T.J. Landgren, Joe Bennett, Caven Warren and plenty of other PPPB regulars will be competing, so this will not be a chickenshit affair.
I am bringing my BirdMan suit along also, just in case anyone wants to flock.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

Jason I would go with you but they moved my surgery up. They called me and basically said be in tomorrow for surgery. I flew back into town two sundays ago and came out for my last day of jumping but the wind was to strong and everyone had quit. I will be out for a few months now. Maybe I will be back up for the Ranch.
William

Just to update you guys:
Jason Eames showed up the day of the meet and, with no practice, took third place overall! Outstanding job, brother!
It was nice meeting you and I look forward to seeing you on tour this year.
For everyone else who was wondering, I got 7th place. I got a vertical extension on one round and ended up a foot short of shore once, so that's my excuse. Actually, nearly everyone went swimming at least once! We had practiced all day Friday running downwind, but the decision was made to run all three events into the wind on Saturday. Winds were about 10mph, but a bit higher at turn-in altitude, so lots of people were making their turns too far "downtown". As a result, most people who knew they were going to be short went BIG for the cameras. Steve Utter, the cameraman for Team Method had a crew of people stationed around the course getting shots from all angles. Steve-O was in the water and got some great shots of people doing flips and diving into the water. The best examples of proper water entry style were Cisco from Deland and Morgan from Chester. Jim Slaton got cool points for his round 6 cutaway and his deadman. Amazingly, Jim Slaton still managed to pull off a second place overall score!
Jason made his money with some great consistency and smooth style.
Overall winner was T.J. Landgren of Team Method. He took home $800. Individual event winners were: Jim Slaton- Distance; Nathan Gilbert-Stop Accuracy and also Cone Accuracy.
The meet was fun and Hans Paulson and the DZO, Ben Butler, did a good job of putting the pond together in such a short time. I really did not have the cash to go to this meet after dropping $750 on the AFF Instructor course last week, but when my boy Hans called me and asked, I simply could not turn him down. I pulled out the plastic and went for it, driving 500 miles the next morning so I could get in a day of practice. Jim Slaton did the same; he immediately hopped on a plane from California to Atlanta and arrived the same night I did. Jason Eames came down from Virginia and Morgan came down from Chester, SC. That being said, we were all very disappointed when several prominant local swoopers who compete with us on the PPPB tour did not make the trip across town to compete. Unfortunate.
Steve-O from Team Method is currently putting together an article for both Parachutist and Skydiving, so keep a look out for them. My wife did not make it down as previously planned, so unfortunately I do not have any photos to offer.
Thanks to Ben Butler, Hans Paulson, and the members of Team Method for being so hospitable.
Chuck Blue
Team Atair
My webpage HERE

Pretty fun time!!! Got drunk enough for 3 people Friday night. Unfortunately, the Old guy "Skymonkeyone" had to go home for some sleepy time....:D It was a blast watching and shooting video for the meet as well as hanging out with the Skymonkey King. We'll see ya again July 4th!!
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

Is this a permaneant pond at ASC now?

Definately a permanent pond. It's pretty nice but really could have used some more overrun area. It's between the road and the runway which didn't leave a huge amount of room. I'm not sure what place Hans got.....I know I got some good video of him missing the pond once....Heheheheehehee....
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

Im suprised Nathan and TJ didnt run downwind anyways

Actually....I think all the competitors wanted to do downwinders but they had safety concerns because of the lack of over run. Nothing like flying out into traffic or smacking a parked car under canopy. I think TJ just likes to fall down and flip through his risers.....:)"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"