RichM

How NOT to demo a canopy

A guy who jumps at my local DZ related a recent canopy demo jump he had done. This guy, let's call him T, has 400+ jumps on Sabres, and about the last 100 on a Sabre 150.
He took an opportunity to demo a Crossfire 129. I can't say he never got advice on flying this canopy, T is the kind of guy who will nod his head but not listen to a word offered.
T is last out of the load (a Turbolet 410) in a small freefly group so he is deeper than the rest of the load. After normal breakoff and track, he is surprised to find that this Crossfire takes longer to open than a Sabre (Crossfire about 1000ft, Sabre more like 500-700ft).
Now he is low, but not wanting to walk back from an off landing, or look stupid, he flies back as far as he can get. After a while he realises he won't make it back but has it too late to find a good landing area, the only available thin one has electricity lines and hedges. T splats in missing all the major hazards, but could only do a downwind landing - as he said any attempt to turn would have put him in a hazard. He seems unaware that it would also probably injure him quite severly. Fortunately T was unhurt.
I tried to talk to T but he doesn't listen.
Basic mistakes that I advise anyone to avoid making:
Always talk to people about new kit, find out what is likely to be different to your current kit. Ask advise on a plan to follow on the first fews jumps to ensure a safe and enjoyable transition.
When jumping a new canopy do a few solo's, save your concentration for the canopy. When jumping a new canopy, open high, at least 4000ft, and spend some time familiarising yourself with the flare and stall points for this canopy. You will need to know them in about 3990ft time.
At any time, do not try to make it back at all costs. At 1000ft you are either definitely and obviously going to make it back, or if this is not the case then plan for and fly an off landing now. 1000ft leaves plenty of time to find suitable fields, spot and assess hazards, select a final landing area and set the landing up for it. Like taking a plane around on a deep spot, making a safe off landing is a sign of skydiving maturity.
Have fun, take care, don't be a statistic to be like T
Rich M

The idea behind a demo is to test the canopy. You pull as high as the pilot will allow and put the thing through it's paces.
Using a demo on a freefly is a waste of valuable learning time.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

When jumping a new canopy you should open a hell of allot higher than 4k.. I put at least 20 jumps on it doing hop-n-pops from altitude.. That's a demo canopy.. On my new canopy.. 50+ jumps from altitude. The guy sounds like an idiot to me. The DZ safety officer might want to step in on this one. Or maybe you should step in in a bigger way. Bitch slap him or something.. Say wake the fuck up son!!
Some people have to learn from the school of hard knocks. Hopefully he lives through it.
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)

I put 4 or 5 jumps including one 14,000 ft hop and pop on my Stilletto before doing anything else. Taking a radically new canopy out and treating it like your old one is bound to get you hurt. Sounds like the guy was lucky this time.
"It's all about the BOOBIES!"