AggieDave

How do I get Demo canopies?

Since this summer, if everything works like I hope it does, I'll have the $$ to start purchasing my own gear, and since I get to use the Aggie Club rig until I get gear, I was going to start by buying a main canopy.
The big question is, what should I get? I know what NOT to get for my skill level (or lack there of), but I wanted to start test-driving some canopies.
That leaves me with demoing canopies. Do I contact the manufacture, or do the big gear stores have demos available? I know people do this all the time, it should be simple, I've just never done it.
Next question, canopy recommendations. So far I've jumped the following:
Laser 9 266
Sabre 233
PD 210
Raider 229 (I think it was a 229, it was a 2-something)
Hornet 190
Spectre 190
My favorite was definately the Hornet, great canopy, but I'm not sure if there is maybe something else that would be enjoyable. I'm not looking to grab a hand full of front-riser and honk'n a screaming swoop (yet), but I want something that is fun and can be pushed.
"Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Do I contact the manufacture, or do the big gear stores have demos available?

The short answer is -- Yes.
Either way works. When Lynn and I were in demo mode, we would just contact the manufacturer. The usual deal is you get it for 1 or two weekends and pay for shipping back. Some sizes are harder to get, but with the sizes you mentioned, there should not be too much of a problem with waiting lists.
Another route is to hit the big boogies. WFFC is a great place to try anything. Look for manufacturers or reps at large boogies near you.