pal

downsizing

i have about 200 jumps, 170 of which have been on my 175 falcon (loaded @1.1) which is very porous (over 1500 jumps) has a couple holes and a few patches. To get any flare i need to hook it (which i figured out after 20 jumps on it) I started on 90 front riser turns then 180,360 then 720 with a couple crash and burns but now usually stick to 360 front riser turn to final which gives about a 8m swoop (dont laugh). I have done many jumps on friends canopies 170-150 sabre 150 hornet 140 beta 150 alpha 135-139 safire and loved to fly all of them (all stand up landings). I have done over 10 crw jumps with the local sick canopy dogs pulling lots of bi-planes 2 down-planes etc
(all of whom have commented on the state of my canopy). i feel i have good canopy skills and especially knowledge for someone with so little jumps.
I am obviously now looking for a new canopy (since i finally have some cash) and would appreciate some advice. I have done lots of research to what is available and have been looking at a cobalt 135.People from my DZ called me crazy and said get a square 150 ie sabre although i feel i should have got that for my first canopy instead of the falcon. I am now considering a safire 139 which i will be test jumping again this weekend. I wanted to get a elliptical but now am settling for a semi-elliptical after been told to stay on square
any opinions appreciated

Just remember... A Safire 139 will fly like a PD product thats about 129 feet. just be careful and don't hook untill you can land straight in with no wind. Watching a lowtimer doing 360/720's would scare the shit out of me and I'd me talking to the Saftey officer if you were at my DZ due to your low experience and the amount of hooking you are doing. I'm at just under 300 jumps total and on a canopy at 1.25:1 and am still happy with my 90 carves. I'm pushing 60-75 foot swoops a few feet up and flaring to a complete stop. No wind days are my favorite.
BTW.. an Alpha is a Cobalt with just 9 top skin panels instead of the 18 the Cobalt has......
Good luck...
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

Depends on how you want to land your next main. If you like the surf, I'd suggest looking at a Sabre2, Safire or Hornet loaded about 1.2-1.3 for your next main - if you're 190 out the door then a 150 would probably be about right. Remember that many of the top canopy pilots and canopy manufacturers recommend downsizing slowly, one size at a time. Just like your first canopy, buy something that you know you can land anywhere, anytime, in any conditions; think about the worst case scenario (landing downwind into someone's backyard for example...) before making your decision.
There is really no need to stay with a square shape imho; you'll get much better openings and landings from any of the above than you are from your Falcon now or than you would from an original Sabre, without some of the other issues involved with a "fully elliptical" canopy like a Stiletto. The "semi-elliptical" shaping will give you tighter turns, which will mean more fun up high too.
But then again, I'm extremely conservative when it comes to canopy selection...
pull & flare,
lisa
"But our reality is in fact entire illusion!"
-Gregory Benford

>Depends on how you want to land your next main. If you like the surf, I'd suggest
> looking at a Sabre2, Safire or Hornet loaded about 1.2-1.3 for your next main - if
> you're 190 out the door then a 150 would probably be about right.
A plug for the Sabre2 line - I jumped a 135 (loaded about 1.5 to 1) last weekend up at Perris and it was an awesome canopy. Nice openings, powerful flare (a lot more so than my old Sabre.) Only negative was somewhat high toggle pressure, but that doesn't bother me much.
I should have learned not to demo canopies when I have no plans to buy one, because now I want a Sabre2.
>There is really no need to stay with a square shape imho; you'll get much better
> openings and landings from any of the above than you are from your Falcon now
> or than you would from an original Sabre, without some of the other issues
> involved with a "fully elliptical" canopy like a Stiletto. The "semi-elliptical"
> shaping will give you tighter turns, which will mean more fun up high too.
Agreed, and will also give you a somewhat better glide and better flare.
>But then again, I'm extremely conservative when it comes to canopy selection...
Nazi!
Hey, question for you. Do you skew your canopy size recommendations based on who the manufacturer is? i.e. recommend a Sabre2 135 or a Safire 149 to the same person since they are basically the same size?
-bill von

You sound pretty experienced for the number of jumps you have. I think it is hard to get advice like this from the net. Everyone is different. I think you should demo a lot, and see what works best for you. Fly a bunch of canopies and see how comfortable you are on the various types. Then make your decision. I didn't feel that an elliptical was that much harder to fly than my old 7 cell. Sure it was more responsive, you just have to think a little farther ahead on landing. But you might not come to the same conclusion. So jump, jump, jump and come up with your own. You know what you are ready for.
Good decisions come with time.
MATT