3fLiEr

Crossfire fliers Part 2

Well this weekend I jumped one for the first time ......... crossfire 119 loaded at 1.7.............. had to admit not what I expected.............. not as radical as I thought it would be on toggle turns - more graceful than radical....... but tended to dive at the ground more than I expected............. will be flying one more until I decide to buy one....... but I think this is a canopy with a lot of potential for me................
Now my next question - Why a crossfire 119 rather than a FX119.................... I have my ideas (different flying animal - FX MUST be flown fast to land).... but would like experienced thoughts on it please........... thanks
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

Good report on the Crossfire. as for HAVING to go fast to land an FX or any canopy for that matter, not true. If you can hook it and land it, you can fly it straight in and land it. At some point in your swoop, you slow down to the normal speed of the canopy, and either a hook or straight inb landing would be identical from that point foward. Why not get an FX? A X-brace is like having a dragster, if you don't want to go REAL fast, why bother w/ the hassle of a dragster?
Hook

as for HAVING to go fast to land an FX or any canopy for that matter, not true.

So would you say that jumping straight into getting an FX 119 would not be that stupid???................
bsbd

"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

I would compare buying an FX 119 instead of the crossfire would be like using a dragster to commute to work. It could be done, but why would you do that. Pick the best vehicle for what you are going to do w/ it. An FX requires more inspection, maintenance, and attention to fly than a crossfire. It doesn't open as nice either. unless you are profiecent at hook turns already and want to take them to the next level, I wouldn't bother w/ a cross braced canopy. They are specialized for swooping. That is what they do best, at the sacrafice of other things. I would recommend the crossfire.
Hook

Thanks....... just what I thought....... think I will stick to the crossfire first......probably be best to learn more on that before the next step.......would you not agree?......... not quite ready for a FX.............
bsbd