cobaltdan

Atair Base Canopy

jump a properly loaded troll

Just for reference if anyone aside from Dan and I is still following this:

I load my Troll at .724.

"Textbook" BASE loading is .75. General practice appears to be a bit below .75, hovering, as bps noted, somewhere between .7 and .75.

I have PM'd Dan with specific questions about my wingloading.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

You know. If I only had this posts to look at, I would trust Tom by a large margin. I am not an expert at all - but just judging by the quality of the arguments presented.. [:/]

Of course we all have more then this posts to look at, so poor presentation style will not be that important..

P.S. How are NASA (and O.T.H.E.R. space agency) tests of Crossfire going?

I am still following this! I had some questions about the canopy I jump for BASE and the manufacturer did not come back at me and say "well hey you aint jumping it for what we designed it for!" instead they listened to me and answered my questions, gave me advice, asked for my thoughts and asked for my findings whilst i experimented (even though I am a complete newbie in this sport - but they still treated my opinion as valid as someone more experienced than me!) . For a come back like "enough of the bad mouthing about my canopy" to me seems extremely bad PR for a company - I am new to BASE and have found most people most helpful - even as far as one manufacter advising me on the merits of anothers canopy! opinions are to me what this sport is about - because it is so young - it is up to you to make YOUR OWN OPINION from other peoples opinions - instead of saying to Tom "shut up" you should have given a structured reply to his "opinion" of a canopy he has jumped. I find Toms analysis of aspects of this sport structured and well written - and although I may, in my newbie frame of mind, question things that he says - he is one of only a small amount of people on Blinc I actually make time to read his posts. To just get your heckles up and bad mouth him makes me question your own ethos and as a representive of a BASE company question your companys ethos - surely this is bad PR for a company whom this newbie may have looked toward in the future for gear and advice.

Oh well enough of this - just me bored at home blown out from another weekend of jumping by the UK weather.

Be Safe Be Low........

Michael
:(

i never told anyone to shut up and keep in mind the exchange has been part on line and off.

i simply said back up your comments:

use the equipment properly, i.e. do not stack the experiment and jump with belly video, which i even offered to provide.

video does not lie. good or bad i would post the results.

can't be any fairer than than.

i thought it would be nice for tom to be involved since he is the only one complaining. either way i will post belly cam footage of various base canopy openings on our web site for everyone to compare. probably will be up by pia.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)