fotta

Gear to Canada

Has anyone shipped purchased skydiving gear via Internet in the USA and then had it shipped to Canada? Any idea if there are customs charges involved - or does the NAFTA take care of that? (Specifically I am intersted in a helmet and altimeter).

-> gravity sucks <-

...just got some used gear from stateside.

You pay PST and GST on the Declared Value (invoice if new) of the shippment. Canada Post charges a $5 "handling fee" for to-your-door delivery. UPS will F@#! you for near to $50 ("Customs brokerage" and "delivery" over and above "taxes").

Also remember it will do you no good to declare a low value as that will become what you are "insured" for if the package gets lost or damaged.

There are no duties that I am aware of.

The Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

PhillyKev, hmmmm, not a bad idea.
In any case, for anyone interested I called Canada Customs and got the following info:
Any sporting goods made in the USA: 0% duty
Not made in the USA: 8.5% Duty
In all cases GST and PST are applicable.

-> gravity sucks <-

I called Canada Customs and got the following info:

Any sporting goods made in the USA: 0% duty
Not made in the USA: 8.5% Duty
In all cases GST and PST are applicable.

Thanks Fotta! I had been doing some canopy shopping (PISA stuff direct from SA is CHEAP but I didn't have the patience to wade through the menus on the 1 800 line >:( ...pour le service en francais.... )

In theory this also means that Z1's and Dytters etc. pay duty entering Canada too !!

The Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)