riggerrob

packing near Brisbane

Can any Aussie tell us about dropzones near Brisbane?
Specifically, how much do they pay per pack job?
Secondly, which Aussie DZs need packers?
I ask because a friend recently landed in Brisbane and is looking for work. She has worked as a professional packer in Canada, the USA and England for the last few years.

I'm not an Aussie but I did my first 100 jumps at a DZ near Brisbane back in April and May. Ramblers DZ in Toogoolawah is about and hour and a half west of Brisbane. It's one of the bigger dz's in Australia. They have a caravan and a 182 but they primarily use the caravan. Great DZ, really friendly people. I don't know what the work situation is there now but it's a dz worth checking out.
Packers don't make much money in Australia, pack jobs are only $5 Australian which isn't much considering jumps are $32. I think they get $10 for student and tandem rigs.
Here's their website: http://www.ramblers.com.au/

Don't know about Ramblers but in Picton (1 hr from Sydney) the going rate is $6 (though one packer still charges $5) and jumps there are $30 if you buy 10 tickets in one hit (or $27 if you buy 100) (that's 4.5 pack jobs per jump !!) Jump ship is an Otter.
Drop in if you're in the area !

I used to work in the Picton packing room;
$5 student gear/owners rigs
$10 tandem
$6 fun jumpers
Near Brisbane try Kooralbyn and Ramblers. I'm not sure if they need packers the best bet is to e-mail Tibor and McEvoy respectively and ask.
I wouldn't hold your breath, but you may do quite nicely packing fun rigs over summer if you can handle the heat!
blue skies
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."