edid

Competition Cobalt question

I've been flying a Cobalt 135 for a while now and have been wringing it out and looking for a bit more speed and swoop to turn my game up a notch. I've been interested in getting the Competition Cobalt. My question is (Chuck, Dan) how does a standard and competition model compare blow for blow. And if for instance I was prepared to make no more of a jump than say to a standard cobalt 105, then would I be looking at a comp cobalt 120. As a bonus, getting a comp 120 would mean I wouldn't have to downsize my container.

a competition cobalt vs a standard cobalt is faster. both canopies share the same airfoil and planform, but the comp cobalt has spanwise braces on the nose. this significantly reduces the inlet drag of the canopy and reduces spanwise airfoil distortion on the foward portion of the wing to that of a full crossbraced canopy, (but without the stereotypical negative traits).
increased speed, increased lift, increased rigidity, sweet high speed safe, on heading, multistage openings, increased dive but still self recovering, overall for a pro pilot simply more of what you love about the standard cobalt.
you can find more info @ www.extremefly.com
sincerely,
dan
atair

I can make the H-mod vs. Competition comparison. I jump 95 Cobalts, loading at approx. 2.1/2.1, and while the difference between H-mod and Comp are subtle, there are some differences.
The Comp. model definitely seems to dive steeper, and recovery is longer, but the additional speed is incredible!
Dan will correct me if I am wrong on this, but I believe the Comp. model is comparable to jumping a regular Cobalt at one size smaller (ie: Competition Cobalt 105 equals regular Cobalt 120).
The openings are very good, toggle pressure light, swoops FUN!!!

As compared to a "stock" Cobalt, the Competition model dives one size smaller, but ultimately has the usable end-of-swoop lift of one size larger. It has a longer recovery arc, thusly building more speed without any effort on your part. A CC, in my opinion, is the best opening parachute I have ever jumped. There are plenty of other threads on this forum concerning the differences between stock/h-mod/competition Cobalts, so just do a search. PM me if you cannot find what you are looking for.
Chuck
My webpage HERE