Karina

Change Spectre for Sabre 2

Hejsan!
Has anybody jumped new Sabre2 by PD? Please tell you opinion about this canopy. I am jumping Spectre 135 and now want to change it for more fun, but still afraid of elleptic types.
Is it a good deal to change Spectre for Sabre2 or not?
I am searching for soft openings, because once I was badly hited by a bad opening and after that soft deployments are the majour requirement for me.

Hi Karina. As you can probably guess from my username, I jump a Spectre(210) loaded about 1.2:1. I'm currently demoing a Sabre 2 190(1.33:1), I've put 16 jumps on it so far and I love it. The openings are smooth, slightly faster than my Spectre. It is much more responsive to toggle and riser inputs, and the flare power is amazing. On my first jump I started to flare it the same as my Spectre and got several feet of lift, so watch yourself. I haven't gotten to test the glide much 'cause the uppers were really crankin', but based on the lift it provides near the ground I think it will be great for making it back from long spots. I hope to put a bunch more jumps on the demo this weekend, and order one for myself over the winter.
Mike D-23312
"It's such a shame to spend your time away like this...existing." JMH

Karina,
I also was on a Spectre for a long time and wanted the same things, i.e., slow openings, more response, and no elliptical problems. I settled on Diablo, and it is awesome!! Very similar glide to Spectre, very gentle opening, and way more responsive. It is elliptical, but not prone to line twists like standard 9cell ellipticals. And to top it off, it is much more stable in turbulence than was my Spectre.
Bill

Karina,
I have been jumping a spectre 170 since getting my A license and loved the way it opened. I wanted to downsize, but didn't want the openings the original sabre is prone to and didn't feel I was ready to try a stilleto. I am glad I waited until the Sabre2 came out and had the opportunity to jump one. It had all the performance characteristics I was hoping for. I ordered a 150 and am anxiously waiting its arrival.
One of our riggers told me, "don't demo the Sabre2 unless you are prepared to buy one, because you will like it that much."
Good Luck,
Mike

One of our riggers told me, "don't demo the Sabre2 unless you are prepared to buy one, because you will like it that much."

Agreed.. I put some jumps on the Sabre2 before it was released, and really loved the canopy.. I jumped a 150, loaded at between 1.4 and 1.5.. Sweet openings, great glide, and nice swoops.. The one I jumped was technically still a prototype since the canopies had not been released yet, but it was the final version - the same thing that you will receive.. I recently ordered a Sabre2 150 for my second rig.. I wanted something that was less twitchy on opening than my Crossfire for BirdMan and skysurf jumps(yea, call me paranoid), but something that would still keep my interested while flying it.. My canopy showed up on Wed, but my rig isn't ready yet....maybe Monday or Tuesday..
Mike

Hi!
I jumped the new Sabre 2 in different sizes (170, 150, 135) and i have to say, every canopy is really fun - when it is deployed...
the demo 170 AND 150 (each about 10-15 rides on it) i jumped had some problems direct after the opening: they really turned bad to the side - so they checked them and noticed that some lines are about 3-5" too long. i am not sure why this is - maybe people don't care to much if they jump a demo?
i wan't the sabre2 really bad but now, i am not sure at all!
did anybody notice something similar?
oh yeah, and the landings are really easy and smooth.
blue skies
sj

I doubt that I'll be headed either place soon...I'd like to make a trip to Florida sometime this fall/winter...we'll see...money is really tight right now thanks to my dumbass losing helmets, audible alits, keys (that one cost $300) and other such pricey things as trying to get my 100th this month!!
Thanks for the offer though, Aviatrr...:)The Freak Kitty
I lust for the ultimate rush...

I currently jump a Sabre 150. Have ~100 jumps on it.
The PD tour came by my DZ this past weekend and I managed to demo a Spectre 150 and a Sabre2 150. Put 2 on the Spectre and 1 on the Sabre2.
Now color me goofy, and granted I didn't really get a chance to put each through their paces, but at least my inital preference was the Spectre.
I particularly liked the opening and flare characteristics. I always felt completely in control. To tell you the truth, I really had a hard time distinguishing the Sabre2's perfromance from my "regular" Sabre.
I have demos of the Sabre2 and Spectre 135 coming, so I'll have a little more chance to play around with both.
"Wear the grudge like a crown. Desperate to control. Unable to forgive. And we're sinking deeper."

Now color me goofy, and granted I didn't really get a chance to put each through their paces, but at least my inital preference was the Spectre.

What was your loading on them? At a 1.5 wing loading, I can tell you there is definitely a very distinct difference between the two.. I was ALWAYS on rear risers on the Spectre to make it back unless I pulled right over the peas.. On the Sabre2, I don't have to hang on the rear risers nearly as much.. The Spectre had some very nice swoops, and I haven't really gone all out on the Sabre2, but it definitely has some nice swoops too.. The Spectre dived a lot more, and lost a lot more altitude, than I liked in front riser manuevers.. Then again, I'm used to 9 cells - so that's probably the primary difference..
Mike