johnny1488

Silhouette anyone?

Yes i have looked in the gear reviews and read what was there. I wanted to know if anyone flies one around my wingloading. Im 215 or 220 ( depending on lunch) out the door and am currently flying a pd210 9 cell. I was thinking about a silhouette 210. I flew a 230 a few times and it landed me better than my 210 now. They dont seem to be that popular. I tried my buddies spectre 210 and it seemed a bit more touchy than im looking for. Let me know if anyone actually flies one out there. I have 91 jumps by the way so im not looking for anything crazy.
Johnny

I just got a Silhouette 230 myself. I'm a little heavier than you are and only have 30 jumps. I've put 6 jumps on the Silhouette (I haven't had it too long) I like the Silhouette a lot. It flies and lands very well. Only the top skin is ZP so it packs fairly easy. The ease of packing is what initially got me interested. It has the flight and long life of a ZP canopy with the packing ease of an F111.
Wesley
--
I'll see you at 13,5 amongst the clouds.

See if cant find a used one at first. After 100 jumps on it that Spectre might be some thing to look at again. The Silhouette was designed to be a first canopy so as long as you dont over laod it excessivly then it should be a sweet ride. I've never jumped one so thats my disclaimer.
Smart decision in not going with a canopy you dont feel totally comfortable under!
Do I HAVE to do another raft dive??? :)

Personally I wouldn't recommend a Silhouette unless you find a bargain used one. It's a good canopy but it never really found its place in the market and there are better designs around now.
I suspect the Silhouette will become even less popular as the Sabre2 takes off. If you buy one it could be difficult to re-sell later.
Packing an all-ZP canopy can be a little awkward to start with but you get used to it real quickly.
Hope this helps. just MHO.
Geoff

Well I've been jumping the Silhouette for over a year and have almost 200 jumps on my Silhouette 135. I'm about 150 lbs out the door. I've jumped many others including the Sabre, Spectre, ProSeries, and I love my Silhouette. It flies great, smooth in turbulance and great flare on landings. The openings are also incredible!! and to top it all off with the easy packing.....how can you loose. As for resale, I had no problem selling my Silhouette 150 when I was ready to downsize....so the best advise I can give you is try out as many as you can, and get what YOU like. I too had many people tell me that the Silhouette was a bad investment....but I went with what I wanted and loved to fly.......and I'm totally happy!!! :)

Thanks for all the responses. Since Im looking for an intermediate canopy I was going to try to go the used route. Im glad to hear that there are people out there that use this canopy and like it also. All I know is im getting tired of landing an all F111 canopy in no winds and not slowing down at all!

I guess I'll jump in here with my 2 cents. I've got about 150 jumps on my Silhouette, and I'm still quite happy with it. I jump a 170 loaded at 1.1-1.2:1 (with/without weights). It turns nicely once it gets going (takes a bit to get started up though), lands nicely, and remains very stable in turbulent conditions. It doesn't have as much flaring power as a full zero-p, although in fairness, the last zp I jumped was a Cobalt, which isn't really much of a comparison. I think you'll also like the openings. I have never gotten snapped on that canopy. As for the resale, it seems to me that the biggest single factor in reselling a canopy is the size. At our DZ, it seems that if the canopy is a 190 or smaller, it sells pretty quickly. Larger ones tend to take a while.

I enjoyed the jumps I made on a silhouette and it is definetely a breeze to pack. I am 200 pounds out the door and was jumping a spectre 170 when I tried the silhoutte 150 it was easy to fly and at that wing loading alot of fun. If it is a canopy you feel comfortable with you should buy one. If you are looking for resale value don't invest in skydiving equipment.