Rosa

Spectre,Triathlon,Hornet ???

Hey all nice people ..
I have been reading the posting that people have been making here .. I just love this site, this information database is great !
So I want to try out my luck and ask some dumb newbie questions ..
First and foremost, how should choose my first gear. I have heard a lot about Spectre (134 or 150) .. what I want to know is for what do those numbers stand for? // yahh I know I am a newbie =)
And when you talk about loading 1.2 or 1.4 what are you TaLkinG about .... (Nota Bene .. english is my second lanugage).
And what is the main difference in 7 cell or 9 cell beside the physical difference =) ???
I am rather petite, I only weigh around 45kg so what considerations should I make ??
I hope you "more experienced" will have a lilttle laugh and than get back on your feet and post me some answers ...
---- blue skies----
----- Heiður Himinn----- (as Icelanders say it)

Vlad
Welcome to the forum, Rosa!
Those numbers stand for the area of the canopy in square feet. Divide it by approx. 9, and you will get the metric measurements, even though nobody uses them (I wonder why ??).
9 cell canopy will give you a flatter glide (vertical distance travelled over horizontal). 9 cell will also swoop better near the ground. 7 cell is more stable in turbulence. It is easier to land in a tight area. Once I had to land my Diablo between several planes and powerlines - no problem, sunked it right in !
1.2-1.4 wing loading is when the canopy is becoming zippy - fast turns with lots of altitude being eaten up, nice landings. It is very fun to fly (my wing loading is 1.3), and still is somewhat safe, even though it can (and will) kill you if you do something wrong...
hope this helps !
Vlad

The wingloading numbers stand your weight devided by your canopy size in square feet. Example a 160 pound jumper + 20 pounds of gear is jumping a 170 Square foot canopy.....their wingloading is 1.05:1. This is fairly normal and Docile. Under a 1:1 wind loading most canopies are docile and are easly controlled. A wing loading of 1.1-1.4 is considered high performance. These canopies will turn faster, consume more altitude and have more forward speed. 1.5-1.9 is considered to be Very High Proformance. These canopies can kill or maim you in a heartbeat... Lots of forward speed is generated by them. 2.0 - 2.5 are considered Extreme. These canopies severly limit your landing areas since they often require long (75 meter) runways to land on. 2.5 and greater.... well you can call it what ever you wnat to at this loading. This is for extreme experts only. Basicly your jumping something the size of a bad sheet.
Do I HAVE to do another raft dive??? :)

Rosa as some one else already noted the wing loading numbers (ex. 1.1 to 1) as determined by dividing your weight with full gear on (in pounds) by the square footage of the canopy. All three of the canopies you listed are usually thought of as acceptable for beginners at lower wing loadings. They are not the only ones. your instructors know your flying abilities and can help you determine the best canopy for you.

The majority of seven cell canopies are more stable in turbulance since the end cells can repressurize easier. Crossbrassed and Airlocked canopies are far better then a seven cell for going through turblance. Sink a 9 cell into turblance and the canopy will buffet, sink a 7 cell in and you might not even notice the turblance.
Do I HAVE to do another raft dive??? :)

Hey mountainman ....
Check this ugly web-site out .. www.skydive.is ... =)
Óskar .. hmm I know few Óskar here .. maybe if you give me some juice details I can tell if you I know "your" Óskar or not. Yes I love skydiving here ... it amazes me even more how beautiful my country is ... when I am up there all alone and just watching ..
............ btw, thank you all for the help I have learned a whole LoT .......

Pressurization is a function of speed, so a faster moving canopy will have higher pressurization. 9 cells are typically faster at a given wing loading and therefore will have higher pressurization and less need to repressurize in the first place. Sinking it in in turbulence is not a good idea as a general practice during normal skydiving. One may need to during certain demo jumps, accuracy competitions, or in certain emergency landing situations but these are special circumstances. Stability in turbulence? A lot of design factors play a role here, so it may be a bit too simplistic to say seven cells are more stable without detailing the circumstances. Pilot skill and technique can also paly a role in managing the stability of a canopy. Just a little food for thought.
alan