ojf1982

Sabre 135

I just received my A license and am about to purchase my own gear. I am thinking about the new Javelin Odyssey and for my main Spectre 135 (I weight 140), my reserve a PD 143R. Is this a good selection. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a reasonable combination, just make sure you do a few dozen jumps on intermediate-sized canopies. By intermediate, I mean enough jumps on a 230 until you can consistently stand up your landings near the bowl, then a bunch of jumps on a 190 ..... and a bunch of jumps on a 150 before you try the 135.

Like rob said, if you have been jumping big student canopies and you can slowly downsize to a 135 then that may be a good choice for you. The 135 may also be a good choice if you have already been flying a 150 - 170 sq ft main. Consider a few more factors before you decide though.
How often will you be jumping? If you won't be doing 10 jumps a month or more you might consider going with a 150 for starters. Currency is important for all jumpers, but for a novice, who is still learning about canopy flight, landing, etc., it is vital if you are jumping a canopy loaded over about 1.0.
What kind of physical condition are you in, how old are you and do you have any previous injuries? If you're in good shape, young and don't have a bad back, trick knee, etc., then a 135 may be right for you. If you aren't in such good shape, saw 21 a looong time ago or have some kind of physical problem I'd suggest a 150.
Also, what kind of skydiver are you/do you want to be? If you feel you are or will be an aggressive canopy pilot who likes speed and you are willing to put the effort into learning to really fly your canopy go for the 135. If you consider yourself to be more conservative and just like to cruise around under canopy and land safely, go for a 150.
Don't worry about having to buy all new gear later if you decide to start with a 150. You can easily and safely put a 135 into a container designed for a 150. And you'll have NO problem reselling a Spectre 150 at a good price - so resale value should not be an issue either.
Your first main is the canopy that you will be learning to fly a canopy with. Learning to fly a canopy involves making some mistakes - everyone does. Choose the size of your first main canopy with that in mind - you want something that you can make mistakes under and still walk away from the landings.
pull and flare,
lisa
----
I am a nobody.
Nobody's perfect.
Therefore, I am perfect!