mikefarmer

Cobalt Riser Pressure??

Reading other posts, I must be nuts. When I demoed a Cobalt 135 loaded at 1.78, the front riser pressure seemed very heavy. I keep reading that the front riser pressure is light. Am I doing something wrong? Was it because the risers were short w/ small dive loops? (I doubt it.) I am comparing this riser pressure to Sabres and Stilettos that I have jumped, and I gotta know....AM I CRAZY???
Mike
Mike's Sky World

Maybe it is out of trim.
One thing for sure, My friend Levin jumps an alpha 88. He is demoing a Cobalt 75. He says the riser pressure is higher than his Alpha. Whether it is a bad thing, I don't know, he is probably just really used to the riser pressure on his alpha and is annoyed, although from what I saw he was flying the Cobalt well, ha ha.
My Space/Alpha 150 has lighter riser pressure than the following canopies Crossfire 129, Vengeance 135, stilleto 135/150/170, samurai 135/150.
??????
ramon

the front riser pressure seemed very heavy.

My guess is that your control lines were too tight and you were probably pulling down the tail as you riser-dived. All four of the Atair canopies I have owned (Viper 150, Alpha 84, Cobalt 85, Cobalt 75) have had VERY managable riser pressure. Certainly less than my VX or any of my Stilletos.
Chuck