rendezvous

Packing of a ZP by a beginner

How difficult is it for a beginner to pack a ZP specially if it's a used one, let's say a Sabre with 300 Jumps on it. Also does it make sense to go with a F111 for the first 100 or so jumps in order to get use to packing
and then may be switch to a ZP later. Another question would be, normally how many jumps is a F111 canopy worth before you need to start thinking about retiring it. Thanks.

You definitely need to develop a technique to deal with the ZP. Folding everything up in a little stack and puting it in the bag is harder. The older they get the easier it is.
I would get F111 just because it is easier to pack. They can be near the end of their useful life at around 500 jumps.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

I, on the other hand, would not get an F-111 parachute just because they are easier to pack. A Sabre with 300 jumps on it is plenty easy to pack. They are only REALLY slippery when they have less than about 50 jumps on them. Still, if you are practicing a solid technique, then it's never a big deal. FYI: I NEVER PRO pack "square" parachutes; I flat or "roll" pack them because it's so much faster. If you smoosh the air out from the nose to tail, then the canopy will generally not get away from you. If you "must" do something else, because you just think it's not cool to flat pack, then Psycho pack. The Psycho pack does a really good job of keeping the material from squirting out when you are trying to stick your main in the bag. Step-by-step instructions can be found all over the net, with the Icarus canopies site being my favorite.
Chuck

I have to agree with Skymonkey. As I am a begineer myself (just got mt A-license number) I can speak as someone in your shoes. I bought a Sabre with about 500 jumps on it around my 15th jump. I flat pack and have no problem packing the rig. Though I am one of the slowest packers in the hangar right now, I was told when I had 18 jumps that I packed really well. Of course I have also been told that I'm too anal. That is because I'm still so new at this (only 49 jumps). Anyway, my rig opens on heading and I don't get the Sabre spank because I tandem roll the nose (well I did have one, but I may have deployed when I was in a slight head down position). So I would say, do not let the thought of being a begineer and packing a ZP stop you. I really like my Sabre.