bikedudepat

gear stores and independent dealers

I was wondering if we could get some other opinions on gear stores and independent dealers at other dz's out there. We have had an incident at The Ranch where a long time dealer lost club membership and was tossed from the property because of violating a exclusive agreement with the gear store on property. This rigger/dealer had a long history of providing service and equipment to people and has since opened his own store locally. This is my first experience with an operation having an "exclusive" on selling equipment at a location. I have travelled to many areas that had a variety of sources for equipment, advice and such and was wondering if this is a similar policy now and how it is perceived by others in the skydiving community. I have always enjoyed getting a couple of opinions and having the option of choosing riggers, sales people and selection that comes from open competition. I feel that both parties in this case are looking out for the best interests of the jumpers and their business, but wanted to know how it's handled in other places and what the attitude about this is. Thanks, the bikedude

I have heard all about this problem in the wreck. From the sounds of it, it got fairly ugly. I guess the independent guy (who is a sub-dealer for PEC) got run off after Marcus Price (the owner of Pier Ltd) complained to the DZO and manager that he was losing business. This was all possible because the DZ had signed a sole-vendor agreement with Marcus. My take on your situation up there is that your "club" is not operating as such in this instance. Personally, I feel that in a true club, all officers and members should vote on matters such as who will be allowed to do what. I am sure that Marcus is paying you guys to be able to operate on your property, just as the tandem factory should be.
How I relate to your situation is in the student training arena. I instruct at one of two primarily-military clubs that operates at Raeford Parachute Center in addition to the civilian vendor, Raeford Skydiving Service. We have no connection whatsoever with the civilian student training vendor and must stay within the bounds of "club business" in order to be able to operate there. RSS's contract with Raeford guarantees that neither of our clubs will take away their business. We do plenty of tandems and train tons of students, but not for people who do not meet our membership requirements. As Raeford is a private business, the owners have all the say in who trains who and who sells what on their property. Still, in days past, before Tony and Kate took over the gear shop, there were plenty of guys in Fayetteville who were dealing gear. This didn't really bother the DZ much because nobody really liked the guy that was running the shop (Skip Summers) and he wasn't coming anywhere close to the other guys' prices. So long as Gene Paul was getting his rent money from Skip, then he didn't care; or at least that is how it seemed. Nowadays, while there are still some guys running around selling gear independently, they can't beat Tony and Kate's (SkyKat) prices so Skykat gets 99% of the business anyway. Since the DZ is private and now owned by Tony and Kate Thacker, if someone were to try and make a bonafide effort at undercutting SkyKat on DZ property, they would be run off without hesitation. When Raeford was still "technically" a municipal airport (Gene Paul was only recently permitted to purchase the actual runway from the city), third parties could have maybe filed a grievance with the city council. Now that the airport and ALL of the surrounding property is owned by the Thackers, they have every right to make the rules. While The Ranch property is owned by Billy Richards (isn't it?), I am not exactly sure how your "club" handles it's sub-vendors or how it was able to kick out a member in good standing just because he was selling gear on his own time.
Chuck
D-12501

I didn't mean to imply that Marcus wasn't a good guy. I have only met him once and he seemed OK. Don't worry; I am not about to form an opinion based solely on the inuendo that was flying in the wreck-dot newsgroup. I am sure that there is probably more to BOTH sides of the story. As I understand it, the person that was told to leave has now opened up a gear and rigging shop just outside The Ranch property in Gardner. Hopefully, everything will work out for all the involved parties. It's sad to me that the guy (is his name Bud?) can no longer jump at the DZ, though. Then again, as you stated, I don't know pretend to know the whole story. In my response to the original poster I tried to make the best comparison I could to what I read was happening up there and give him my answer according to that. I hope that clarifies my answer to him and everyone else.
Chuck
"Go Fast, Take Chances, and for God's Sake Don't Wear a Helmet!"