rohicks

Updating the forums

Ignore me if this has been discussed before, but I haven't been apart of the forums for that long. However, when I first registered I was a little taken back at how old and crude the forum software seems to be.

I have no idea what it's running (or who actually owns this site/domain), but it seems like it might be time for an upgrade...? [:/]

The forum software is indeed old, and in many ways outdated, and we do have the plans to upgrade them in some way. Whether or not it would be a large cosmetic change, would yet to be decided, in the short term any update would be minor and only include a few small changes to visuals and functionality.

The main reason for this would be that our site runs on a CMS called Gossamer Threads, this CMS is then reliant on running a Gossamer Threads forum, and we can then only upgrade when they release updates for it. So we can't currently look at things like PHPBB or anything, as the forums are linked to profiles which are linked to the entire site, and would require a complete CMS change.

We currently do have a new forum template ready that matches the rest of the site, slightly more modern with 1 or 2 added things. But we also understand that highly active forum users end up developing a 'homely' feeling to visuals of a forum and changing that, even a minor change - often results in them feeling like someone has just run in and redecorated their home.

Long and short being, we do have plans to upgrade in a minor way in the near future. After that we do have plans to get more up to date and in line with current technology.