scoobysnack

Newbie deployment question

I've always wondered the same thing about pull-outs. I've always owned them, so I'm obviously biased (of course my choice in gear is the correct one!), but there seem to me to be several advantages. Specifically, there is less of a chance of container lock, because you open the container! Also, the bridle is much shorter, so there is less chance of it snagging anything in the plane or after deployment (pull-out horseshoe mals are almost unheard of). Little chance of a loose pc flying out of the plane unexpectedly. Less drag under canopy, maybe (irrelevent with collapsable pcs). I think I like the deployment sequence better (the bag is stowed lines up), but I honestly am not sure it makes that much of a difference.
The only downsides I can think of are that you have to be more careful about getting the pc out of your burble - you have to hold it out in the wind, no throwing remember - and that a loose handle can be a little nerve racking, but easily dealt with - just feel for the bridle. Sometimes it takes a little juice to pull, and you are in a bit of an awkward body position while you are yanking on it, but I've never gone unstable doing it. A hard pull is a hard pull, whether it's you doing it or the pc. I would rather know myself what is going on back there.
Notice that the throw outs are all going BOC - this is to get the tucked bridle advantage we pullers have always had. Why not take the next step?
---
Damn rain.

Actually the old ripcord method was a lot better. The ripcord handle was mounted on your chest on the right side with a silver handle just like your reserve. You could see it when you pulled and I never heard of anyone having a reserve ride because they lost the ripcord. Nor did I ever see a premature deployment.
On the down side its a lot harder to pack that big spring loaded pilot chute and it requires a bigger container. Also in the late 70's the RW craze hit and everyone was going to big jump suits which created a burble and often times the pilot chute just sat there on your back. So the throw out became popular.
The big jumps suits are gone, and the throw out really is unneccessary now but folks have gotten used to it and of course skydiving is fad's and fashion. If you went back to the old ripcord you would be odd man out. The new ripcord is not as much of an advantage because of its location to transision to the BOC. But it is IMO safer. Of course I'm no expert by any means.
Some fun eh!

The main advantage that I can see when using a throwout as opposed to a ripcord is the deployment speed. You get a much quicker deployment with a throwout and you don't have to worry about your burble. Just my 2 cents.
Mizhakwit,
Chad

There is a burble behind EVERY skydiver big enough to cause a (springloaded) pilot chute hesitation. The bigger you are, the bigger the burble.
Pull-outs, just like any method of deployment, have their advantages AND disadvantages. The biggest advantage, as mentioned by cdunham, is the fact that YOU are physically pulling the pin, rather than the bridle doing it. This eliminates the pilot chute in tow malfunction. BUT, if the pull-out pud gets knocked loose and trails behind you, it is VERY difficult to locate flopping in the relative wind. You will likely have to execute emergency procedures for a container lock (total malfunction).
The people I know that jump pull-outs swear by them . . . but they are few and far between. I can't say I have seen a ripcord/springloaded pilot chute on a rig (other than students & military gear) lately.
My personal preference is a BOC throw out on a rig in which NO bridle is exposed. I don't freefly, but bridle & pin protection benefits all of us.
Last thought - all deployment systems are safe if maintained properly.
Respectfully,
SP

Good point, SP. All these things are proven and safe, the choice comes down to your personal references wrt the trade-offs involved.
BTW, I have had to deal with the pud coming loose a few times and it's not really a big deal. All you have to do is feel for where the bridle enters the container and grab it there. You are right, you will never find the pud flying around back there, but the bridle is always in the same place.
Also, I was recently looking at the Voodoo web site and it looks like the pull-out they have in these pictures is somehow secured under the right closing flap. Is anyone familiar with this arrangement, or am I just out of touch?
Carl

Hi there,
The advantages of Pull-Out or Hand-deploy over ripcord came about as RW formations got bigger... The hand deploy or pull out are "Fire & Forget" in that having deployed, both hands are completely free. You are not left holding a ripcord which you have to secure before doing anything else. The advantages of this come if you are facing a canopy collision or malfunction (where you would have to ditch the main ripcord.
Just as an aside, I've got my gear "all-risks" insured & its of note that the insurers cover everything EXCEPT main ripcords being lost for whatever reason.
The other advantage of pull-out or hand-deploy is that it's (so far) impossible to manufacture a collapsible spring loaded PC. Having such a PC enhances both performance and safety with higher performance canopies.
As for the Pull-out Vs. Hand-deploy debate, This has been covered pretty thoroughly in past threads. Personally I feel the relative advantages & disadvantages of Hand-deploy outweigh those of Pull-out, making the BOC Hand-Deploy the overall superior deployment device... But this is ultimately a matter of personal choice.
Mike D10270.