bluetwo

Private Messages - Emails

I don't know if it's been covered but I didn't find anything in a quick search.

Any time I get a PM I also get an email saying I got one but when I click on the link it gives me an error message and I would rather just be able to read what it says without having to use the link.

Anybody else feel the same way?

Can anyone else confirm that they get error pages when following the link back to their main private message through the email alert? I just used it now on an email I received last night and it worked perfectly.

I just wanna say that when I said error message I meant I see something to the effect of The message you requested no longer exists and yet there is a 1 New next to the Private Messages link. I'm not looking at it now as I'm on my phone and have not received a PM.

I'm not trying to misrepresent the site but I've been having that problem.

It's all good, no worries.

If there is a problem we got to try sort it out. Mine went straight to the message in my inbox, worked 100% when I tested it. So shall just wait on some more feedback so we can investigate more into it.

Cheers

If you're logged into dz.com, you can read the message when you click on your e-mail link. If you're not logged in, you get the error message.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ok, here we go: The message you attempted to access does not exist

You can see it has that error message and yet it ALSO says I have "1 New Message" so clearly I'm logged in. As soon as I click on the "1 New Message" button it takes me to all my messages at which point I can click on the newest one. Which I get it, that's not hard, but according to you guys it's supposed to take me right to it. That's how every other forum I've visited works so I wanted to report this problem.

This is odd...

First thing I notice is that the URL is different to what I receive in my mail box when I get an alert. Is that the link you get directly from the email or is that a redirect.

If you go to your mail client and copy and paste the URL does it appear like that or does it look like this - http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=message_view;message=17658... etc ?

Because that's what I receive via email, where the ;message=# is the end of the URL pointing to the message. And without that you will get an error.

Which means it may possibly be something with the email client not treating the ; as part of the URL.

Oh so it was me and my email all along? I'm totally kidding and I don't think its that serious.

I see what you're saying though. I have been just following the links and that really isn't a problem. Thanks for looking into it.

Well it's my thinking that it could be the email client.

You can test by copying and pasting the whole address you receive in the email into the address bar and seeing if that works.

If that's not the problem then we do need to look into it anyway. But if you or anyone else using a gmail (I'm assuming it's gmail from your screenshot) can just confirm that the error is in fact that gmail client only making the link clickable up until the ';message' in the URL. :)

I hadn't thought about it being Gmail's fault... I usually just hit delete when I get a PM email message but here's one from a few days ago that I kept. You can see that uses the entire URL, or at least it appears that it does to me.

The links work for me in gmail, so I doubt that's the issue.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke