riggerpaul

a different "New Post" button

Sometimes when I am posting to an existing thread, especially a long one, I wish that in addition to "Quote" and "Reply", there was a "New Post" button. The button would differ from "Reply" and "Quote" in that the new post would not be a reply to anything that already exists.

I have noticed that sometimes people get a bit upset when they think that someone replied to them when really the new post was not a reply at all.

I suppose one could go back to the original post that started the thread and reply to that, but on a multi-page thread, that can be difficult.

Another solution could be to have a button that says "Reply to OP". If every post other than the first MUST be a reply, having a button to automatically make it a reply to the original post on the thread would serve my purpose just as well.

Thanks!

-paul

thanks for leaving it on the To-Do list.

The issue with just editing the subject line is that the person whose message you are replying to gets a notification that their message has been responded to. If that person doesn't notice that the subject line has been edited, they will still perceive that the message was directed to them.

Currently the people that think about this end up doing two things:
- editing the subject
- making this first line in their response something like "this is not directed to anyone in particular, but just my thoughts"

Unfortunately taking these extra steps doesn't occur to every one.

So I think the original idea is still good. :)

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

And if such a button is available, too many people will use it instead of one that properly links back to the message to which they are replying, thereby making their comments meaningless and out of context. It might create more havoc then it would solve.

Just edit out the name in the Subject line, and then they won't think you're talking to them.

And if such a button is available, too many people will use it instead of one that properly links back to the message to which they are replying, thereby making their comments meaningless and out of context. It might create more havoc then it would solve.

Just edit out the name in the Subject line, and then they won't think you're talking to them.

LOL I could use the same argument against making knives and guns... too many people will use them incorrectly.

Just because some may use a tool incorrectly doesn't mean the good behaving members of the community should be denied access to it. I like the idea of having this button and don't see that I should be denied because some others may use it incorrectly.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Just because some may use a tool incorrectly doesn't mean the good behaving members of the community should be denied access to it. I like the idea of having this button and don't see that I should be denied because some others may use it incorrectly.

So you're willing to create unlinked chaos, because you're too lazy to delete a name in the Subject line.

Well, considering the original idea of this button (replying to the OP without jumping around between pages), the button might end up somewhere at the top and/or the bottom of the page, rather than next to the other reply buttons which is at the top of each post...

That might reduce the "incorrect usage" problem.
A fool and his money is soon parted - Buy 1 million e-mail valid addresses for only $100.00