bvsdjumper

Help for HH and the Mods (some suggestions)

Today I register to be a user at GameFaqs.com. This is a Web site dedicated to video games (not only FAQs, but reviews and message boards). I thought they had some interesting stuff in their terms of service and board rules. The site, however, is obviously going to attract mostly younger immature users so I don't think all of the rules should be applied to skydivers (we're typically at least over 18, but not necessarily more mature though ;)).

The TOS can be found here:

http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/tos.asp

The MEMBER CONDUCT section was good and I liked the way they spelled the rules out in more detail and even provided examples.

One of the other interesting things they've implemented is "Karma" and "Board Levels". Info about that can be found here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/help/hboards_2.html

Here, you gain/lose karma based on your conduct. Karma seems to dictate your board levels. Here, they limit how many topics (threads) you can create and how many messages you can post based on your karma.

And, one thing that I thought was a really cool idea, was letting users "mark" messages for moderation (must have a certain karma level to be able to do this).

Could you make the moderater's job easier by allowing users to mark messages? Would moderators not have to read every single message but only those that were marked? I don't know if it would work so easily but it seemed interesting none-the-less.

All the message board help is here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/help/hboards.html

They're also rather restrictive of account creation and activation. They will note your IP address and ISP. You need an e-mail address and if you use an address from the ISP you created the account from you get more immediate access. If not, your registration needs reviewed and approved. They don't allow accounts created from free e-mail.

After registering your account you get pages that has a brief version of the rules:

Don't be offensive...
Don't swear...
Don't ask for or offer pirated ROMs/Games/MP3s/Videos/Warez...
Don't insult other users...
Don't start trouble...
Stay on-topic...
Don't ruin the game for everyone else...
Don't advertise...

What about freedom of speech? Can't I post anything I want?

When you signed up for the GameFAQs message boards, you voluntarily agreed to follow the rules here. "Freedom of speech" applies only to the federal government, not private businesses, and in any case, you willingly relinquished some of those rights to have an account here. If you do not feel that you can follow the rules here, you are more than welcome to create your own message board on a server that you pay for, and subsequently enforce your own set of rules.

A long way of saying "This ain't no democracy". :D I don't remember if something like this already does come up after registration, but if not, it may help.

After briefly browsing through some of the boards, their rules seemed to work fairly well considering their very immature audience.

Even if you don't use any of it, I hope this helps in at least some small way. :)
--Art

I've seen the "report to mod" feature on other boards too. It's a little button in the corner of each post that, when you click, takes you to another screen where you can fill out why you're reporting the post. It can help when you have a big board, because chances are the members will notice something before the mods do, just because there's more members than mods.

A long way of saying "This ain't no democracy". I don't remember if something like this already does come up after registration, but if not, it may help.

it does the tos says

(H) Dropzone.com reserves the right to refuse service, or parts of the service, or access to the Dropzone.com servers, to anyone for any reason. We enforce this policy to ensure a professional environment for the users of the site. We reserve the right to remove any content or cancel any membership without prior notice and without providing a reason.

give the mods and hh time i am:)
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

I've seen the "report to mod" feature on other boards too. It's a little button in the corner of each post that, when you click, takes you to another screen where you can fill out why you're reporting the post.

"Copy shortcut" and a pm works the same way, it's just a few more clicks.

I get a lot of pm's sent my way for me to look at a post. I appreciate it because while I might appear as online, most of the time during the day I actually have work to do. PM's really helps me stay on top of things if I'm busy.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

To clarify....after you "copy shortcut" you still have to hit ctrl + V to paste the link into the message. And, if you want to make it really easy for someone, hit the "url" tags before and after it too. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"Copy shortcut" and a pm works the same way, it's just a few more clicks.

The few more click is the problem -- people are less likely to report if it is a "few more clicks."
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention