crossfireman

coach rating lapsed now i want my tandem????

i went through the coach course and then was doing the pre-aff training.

in the end i completed the coach coarse but never went totally through with the AFF course. my uncle looked at the waivers and talked me out of it based on liability ( he is a lawyer )

So now i would like to get my strong tandem rating. can my S&TA sign off on my coach ratting or do i have to do the written test again???

i did the course passed but didnt send the coach rating in. so basically i have a d-lic

what do i do. can the S&TA sign me off or do i need a course director sign me off or do i have to do the coach course again??

thank you

Chris

With the new USPA rating I believe the coach rating is completely unnecessary for the tamdem rating- you will have to take the tandem course which includes the manufacturers specific material and the generic portion of the rating which is much like the coach rating- but having the coach rating won't cover the tandem like it used to. It doesn't make sense to me. I'm a bit puzzled though- if you are concerned about liabilty of doing AFF where a student is responsible for saving their own life- how are you going to be less liable by strapping on a student who is completely dependant on you

i went through the coach course and then was doing the pre-aff training.

in the end i completed the coach coarse but never went totally through with the AFF course. my uncle looked at the waivers and talked me out of it based on liability ( he is a lawyer )

So now i would like to get my strong tandem rating. can my S&TA sign off on my coach ratting or do i have to do the written test again???

i did the course passed but didnt send the coach rating in. so basically i have a d-lic

what do i do. can the S&TA sign me off or do i need a course director sign me off or do i have to do the coach course again??

thank you

Chris

In the US you need to have or have held any instructional rating. Since you did not send in your rating, you don't have one.
Depending on how long ago your coach course was, HQ might accept the paperwork now. More than a year, I think you are SOL.

You can also challenge any course. Details are in the IRM. You'll need one of those.
IOW, if your class was taken too long ago, you might be able to successfully challenge the coach course.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

With the new USPA rating I believe the coach rating is completely unnecessary for the tamdem rating- you will have to take the tandem course which includes the manufacturers specific material and the generic portion of the rating which is much like the coach rating- but having the coach rating won't cover the tandem like it used to. It doesn't make sense to me.

Not sure where this rumor came from, but it's incorrect. A Coach rating (or an Instructor rating in another method (S/L, AFF, IAD)) is necessary to attand a USPA/manufacturer Tandem course.

*** I'm a bit puzzled though- if you are concerned about liabilty of doing AFF where a student is responsible for saving their own life- how are you going to be less liable by strapping on a student who is completely dependant on you

Good point! Tandem is the only training method in which the Instructor is totally responsible for the student's safety.

As for getting the Coach rating, if you completed the course, that means you have the pink card with the Course Director's signature, so that should be good for a year. If it's longer than that or you don't have and can't get the CD's signature, it may be a problem. Either way, I'd recommend that you contact Jim Crouch ( [email protected] ). He's the one who'll have the final word, so you might as well go to the source, eh?

BTW: never talk to your uncle again! ;)

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan