Zennie

My Canopy Won't Stall

I prolly should have my rigger check the trim, but I'm wondering if this is a bad thing or if it's something not too serious.
Now maybe I'm not flaring it fast enough, but I can't get my canopy to stall. I can bury my toggles and it still glides along just fine.
As far as landing flares go, never had a problem. On a "regular" wind day I get the brakes down to about shoulder-level to stop the downward movement & then milk out the rest for a little surf. On no-wind days I usually have to run 'em out quite a bit.
Thoughts?
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

It's probably not a problem. It seems most larger canopies, and especially student canopies are set up so they can't be stalled if you overflare. It's a bit of a protective mechanism to keep you from bow-tieing the canopy when you land and dropping yourself hard. The only real problem is if the brake lines are too long and you're not getting enough flare out of it. I'd check it out by wrapping the steering lines around your hands once and then burying the toggles to see if it'll stall there. If it still won't stall, take 2 wraps and try again, and keep repeating with more and more wraps if necessary. Once you've found out how many wraps it takes before the canopy stalls, talk to your rigger about it and he can advise you on whether your steering lines need to be lengthened or not.

My Sabre was kinda tough to stall too, I could bury them all the way and just hang there (kinda cool though, and could be useful) Try building up some speed first (hard turn, front risers, whatever) and the bury the toggles (worked for me). Just remember to let them back up SLOWLY after you stall. You can always take a few wraps as someone suggested earlier. Still, remember, SLOWLY recover.

Sabre 150 loaded at 1.23

I have a few jumps on a Sabre 150(around 1.4 loading) and 170(around 1.25) and had no problem stalling either one.. I did take wraps on the lines to get a good, deep stall.. I was able to get a stall without the wraps also.. Check your steering lines on your next jump.. Are they bowed way back indicating lots of slack in the lines? If so, have your rigger shorten 'em..
Mike

i also have a sabre 150 loaded about 1.3:1 and i tried to stall it when i first started to fly it and couldn't do it.(i didn't take wraps though) i had it all the way down to my waist and it still flew along fine.....

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

Your canopy definitely does stall. All canopies stall.
What it probably isn't doing is collapsing.
A stall is an aerodynamic occurance. When your canopy runs out of flare, it goes into a stall and begins to sink, it is no longer flying the same way, even if your descent speed is survivable.
Not all canopies will collapse after a stall. I've never had one that did, not that I'm particularly anxious to try it.