Charuva

Wind tunnels in Virginia?

I did 2 tandem jumps back in 2003, and am wanting to get back into another tandem and eventually AFF training after my deployment. Sorry if these questions are too noobish.

My question about wind tunnels is, are there any close to the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (Norfolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Newport News and Portsmouth)?

I'd also like to know how tunnel time may transfer into going to do my AFF course training. If I did tunnel time first, would it help prepare me any further for the AFF?

Thanks in advance.

there are no wind tunnels in Virginia. But Skydive West Point is right down the road. The closest Tunnel to us is in raeford, NC about 3 hours away. The tunnel will help with body position and arching. But there is no sustitute for jumping out of an airplane. The tunnel will never hurt your progression it can only help.
I could only hope for a tunnel in Virginia. In an earlier thread we were discussing the merits of a tunnel in the mid atlantic area. I think we all agreed that it should be near the air and space museum at Dulles Airport. But sadly no tunnel here in VA.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

On your first AFF jump, you will have two AFF instructors on both sides of you keeping you stable. You won't really be flying your body to a great extent, so you wouldn't really see the benefit of any tunnel time you would have done prior.

My advice is to go ahead and do your first jump, and if you decide you want to pursue more jumping you can decide at that point if you need some tunnel time. Who knows, you might be a natural and not need the tunnel to get through AFF, and then you could use the money for more jumping instead. Or, if along the way you discover you have spinning issues like I did, then the tunnel becomes the best tool to help you remedy any freefall issues.

I live in Virginia Beach, so I usually jump at Suffolk since its much closer than West Point. If you have any more questions, you could always pass by the DZ and pick our brains for advice.

Thank you for the reply. The Suffolk DZ was the one I was going to call home! I really do want to get out there sometimes soon, even though I don't have the funds to begin my new love and new hobby just yet. If anything, to get the info I need and to meet everyone out there would be awesome!

I've read nothing but great reviews for the Suffolk DZ. I can't wait to come out. :)