discovery4

Who are tunnel instructors?

I'm thinking about taking a trip to a tunnel and I was wondering if all instructors are skydivers?

If not, what are the qualifications that they have? Are they certified like an AFF-I?

Also, if not, is it better to have an instructor that is a skydiver if the goal is to work on skydiving related moves?

I'm thinking about taking a trip to a tunnel and I was wondering if all instructors are skydivers?

If not, what are the qualifications that they have? Are they certified like an AFF-I?

Also, if not, is it better to have an instructor that is a skydiver if the goal is to work on skydiving related moves?

Don't know where you are based but most of the tunnel instructors that I have had are not skydivers. I don't think it is relevant and the qualities of a good teacher are what I look for the most. A good flyer is not necessarily a good teacher - you need someone who is going to take the time to show you where you are going wrong and help you with the general flow of learning.

One small point - you can buy tunnel time in a block and pay for an instructor separately, but if you buy a series of lessons (for example quad lesson) you get the instructor as part of the price. This means that it can be cheaper to simply do lessons and we have had a huge amount of support going down that route. The downside is that with lessons if it is busy you don't get dedicated feedback after every slot.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.