Vercha

Tunnel flying

Hi Everyone, I am very new to skydiving.. just have 2 tandem jumps. Now I want to go all the way to get a license, and since it is pretty cold to jump here in Canada, I was wondering if you could tell me how useful it is to do a tunnel flying for learning skydiving?

Thanks!

Do some tunnel time. You won't regret it. I can't even begin to tell you how helpful it was for me when I was about half way through aff, struggling with some body position issues.

There is no other tool that will increase your freefall skills as much as the tunnel. It was so amazing to see what 30 minutes of tunnel time did for me.

I visited Paraclete in NC last August. I'm going to head down to TN to do another 30 minutes in the tunnel sometime in Feb.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

HI THERE & Welome,
I,m a Newbie also, I did three Tandems, and just Finished the instructional AFF jumps.
The wind tunnel was just what I needed!!! I passed all Levels without having to repeat any!!!$$$:)The tandems jumps I did were great But i was always forgeting leg position, Even all the AFF jumps were the same, MY legs were on my ass, causing me to back slide.My Jump master would give me the legs OUT SIGNAL, I'd correct , then think of the next task at hand, and Bam!!! legs on ass again.!![:/]
The wind tunnel helped with the muscel Memory.
Idid a couple mins. of tunnel time inbetween each series of AFF and slowly Igot better.
I STILL HAVE TO THINK LEGGS!!!ON EVERY JUMP!!
ONCEYOUR STABLE you can LOOK at the clock Like it an Altimiter.ALTITUDE AWARENESS. go thru all the motions of each jump.
Just rember the tunnel isnt 13000 ft above the ground the fear factor isnt there.
Also when practicing BODY POSTION on the ground(on your belly) Gravity is pushing your legs down; WHEN IN FREEFALL THE RELITIVE WIND WILL PUSH THEM UP !
THE TUNNEL WILL HELP with this.
ONE LAST THING a JM suggested TO ME, to practice My body position,in front of the TV with my belly on the floor my shins/feet on the edge of the couch, pushing down a little while in the arch position.
I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU,

The tunnel was the best thing i could have possibly done for my aff. Aside from not spinning out of control, the best thing will be your confidence. Being sure you wont spin out of control will really help your nerves. But do 10 minutes at first, 30 minutes will kill you your first time.

But do 10 minutes at first, 30 minutes will kill you your first time.

He isn't kidding. I did 30 the first time. 2 minutes in and 1 minute out until I had 30 inside. Every muscle in my body was sore the next day. Felt good though :) I was happy that I did it.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

Unlike you I have never jumped from a plane. A buddy of mine finally convinced me to visit a wind tunnel. I had so much fun in those first two rounds I ended up going back within the month. In the second visit I split a 30 minute block with a friend. I can't compare it to the real thing but I can tell you that it is a great learning environment. You get continuous feedback from the pro and can focus on position. They had me doing box and mantis position, controlled turns, moving up/down, forward/backward, and side-to-side all in the little time that I have had. If I ever make a real jump I have pretty good confidence on body control. Right now I am trying to figure out when I go back to the tunnel for more fun. Give it a try - you won't be dissappointed.
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

Awesome, I'll try it for sure!!! Can't wait for Montreal wind tunnel to open up!! I'll get my 10min there :))

And, hey, Jim, you should really try skydiving, I was completly hooked after the first jump, and had to come back 2 weeks after :)