kopelen

Bad Landing

It all happened on Jan 6, 2001. Going home to the place that I learned to skydive. Looking forward to the crystal blue sky that morning thinking that I would get in another 5-8 jumps. Well all those wonderful ideas never happened. On jump one, we exited a 4-way out of Cessna. Turned a couple points things were looking great. Pull time no prob. Opened a little high 3000 K to ensure I had plenty of room.
Well I spotted the DZ cruised on over to land and then on final was looking to my left not paying attention to my front. I was about 30 feet up looking left then to the right in full flight when i saw the windsock! Yup! Well my left leg caught the windsock and I came to a screaching halt. Needless to say I hurt a little. (Found out later the pole was forged steel not plastic!) A fellow jumper asked me why I did not pull a left or right rear riser turn to avoid. I told him one that at the time of incident I did not know what one was and two that I was not paying attention to the windsock. Another jumper told me that I would be ok because I had only a sprain most likely. Well taking his advice I drove the two hours back to the hospital and found out four hours later that it was much more than a sprain. Well end result for not paying attentionon on landing: Reconstructed ACL and a level two MCL tear on my knee and 9 months of rehab, not just a sprain!!. Just wanted to share with my fellow skydivers what can happen because we get careless and not know how to fly all aspects of our canopies. Overall though I just want to say canopy control skills and attention at all times are important!!!

Hey Paul. Man, I didn't realize you were hurt that badly. I saw your landing and thought that you were just bruised up. I hadn't seen you since then, but I just assumed you had moved. I'm sorry to hear about everything you went through. I hope you'll be able to get back out and make some jumps with us whenever you can. Take care.
Blue Skies,
Paul Eriksmoen

Paul- I'm glad you're, for the most part, ok-- it could have been much worse! So sorry you're hurt; you're an intelligent, heads-up person, and not to get fixated on landing just comes with experience, OR seeing someone else make that mistake. You CAN come back from this and jump again- remember my leg brace.... hugs from an old friend from Atlanta.... get well as fast as you can!!
Brokeneagle, aka Faye.
It's only the giving that makes you what you are... In the end, only kindness matters....