Duck

Bad Landing ('95 Lost Prairie)

Tried posting this in the 'Talk Back' forum, but no response. This is probably more of a S&T thing anyway.
I am looking for anyone that was at the '95 Lost Prairie boogie. Winds took me into the foothills, where I busted about 17 bones during the landing. I haven't jumped since, due to various reasons, but will next month after a Level IV. So I've been checking out several skydiving sites lately and ran across DZ.com. Great site.
Back to the jump. It was my 50th, so we decided to celebrate with a naked 4-way on the last load of the day on an Otter. Things were kind of rushed, trying to beat sunset and all, so we all got in with the other jumper and made for altitude. We were the first out, were doing our thing with a planned break of 3.5, when one of the guys (forget his name) waved us off early. Turns out he saw the spot was way off. I tracked away and dumped high, thinking the canopy time would get me back to the DZ.
After doing checks (and putting on my shorts), I headed for the DZ. Winds pushed me back. I tried a few things to increase my forward movement, front risers, tucking legs, but nothing worked. When I crossed the treeline still at 2K, I turned with the wind to see if there was somewhere else I could land. I found a potential landing on top of a hill where the vegetation wasn't bad. I don't remember if I turned into the wind for landing or continued to run. I do remember that before my flare, I suddenly dropped like a rock into the side of the hill. I'm pretty sure that I hit the turbulance of wind coming off the hill, kind of like hitting an air pocket that cancelled my lift. Later on I found out that winds at altitude were very high, even though on ground they were neglible.
Anyway, I'm looking for people that might be able to fill in some gaps. Seems the whole thing was a domino effect, bad spot, high winds, low experience. I know it's been about six years, but any help would be great. Any other comments are welcome, too! Thanks.

Thanx, Spectre, I'm sure it will as long as I keep the right attitude - but the encouragement is definitely appreciated. Saw that you're Phoenix way, I know that we had some Otters from there come up to support the boogie. I'm pretty sure the ship I jumped out of was one. If you run across some AZ friends that were there, please let them know I'm interested in hearing first hand accounts.