angrypeppers

How many minutes?

How long do your tunnel sessions last? I've mostly been going for six minutes, in three two minute sessions. However, I'm rethinking that now. I just busted my Level 2 jump, and I'm wondering if my longish tunnel sessions have created a problem for me. I have to repeat level 2 since I ran out of altitude before I could do my turns. And I had a dive flow breakdown of sorts too. At least part of the problem was that I didn't have any real sense of urgency in getting the dive flow done in time.

I'm thinking that since my freefall is about 50 seconds or so, I should do one minute tunnel sessions. Kind of like muscle memory...brain memory? Whaddya think?

Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

I also think that 1 minute rotations are too short. I like 2 minute rotations as it gives me enough time to learn new skills, but not get so tired that I'm struggling to keep flying that new position or skill.

I think that the prmiary value of tunnel flying for AFF students is to learn the component skills of skydiving - stable flight, fall rate control, then turns & forward/backward motion. In the sky, you get to put it all together while maintaining altitude awareness.

This is pure speculation, but I would guess that you might have benefited from spending more time dirt-diving, and walking through your dive flow in real time on the ground. My drop zone has a student altimeter hooked up like a watch, so you can start it, step through your dive plan, lock on at 6, and pitch at 5.5 (or whatever your altitudes are) just like in a real dive. That helped me get a sense of the timing of the dive, and provided me an appropriate reminder that the dive keeps moving, no mater what happens. Besides, dirt diving is free - tunnel time and AFF jumps are not!

Thanks, guys. I still like the two minute rotation idea. You can bet that I'll be practicing the dive flow at home and at the DZ this week. We used the practice alti's in the AFF class. I'll probably just get a digital kitchen timer and set it for 20 seconds for when I practice. It won't show the altitude, but I can use my imagination for that. Students are supposed to be able to Dirt diving is good, it's fun, and it's free!complete the Level 2 dive flow from 9000' feet, so anything higher is gravy.

DZ, you're speculation is correct. I knew the flow from the book, but didn't practice it enough.

Thanks!
Chris

1 minute warm up for every one in our group to clear basic skills, then two minute blocks. In the orlando tunnel I did 5 3 minute blocks. :D

OUCH! We were doing 2:20 rotations last weekend.
I thought that was plenty.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

It was the first time I was ever in a tunnel, and at the time I only had 1 AFF jump and one tandem. I don't think it matter if I did 2 minute or 10 minute blocks. I was to busy fliping over, bouncing walls, and grabbing the net to notice.

I am mostly kidding, but I felt 3 minute blocks were fine. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Hey!

Have you met Travis Roth yet at the DZ? I'm not sure if he still does this, but a few months ago, he would take students to the tunnel on thursdays and give free coaching.

If you can, meet him sometime and ask him about tunnel time. Do maybe 10 - 15 minutes, and you'll be set for AFF!

(P.S. That's what I did, I did 2, 5 minute rotations, the did 3, 15 minute rotations when Travis did his tunnel time, and that helped immensily. Passed AFF with no problem and only had to do one coached jump for my 'A.' 50 jumps later, I just got my 'B'! The tunnel is almost like cheating tho...and it drains that checking account too....)

Travis popped his head in the door during our AFF class, but I can't say that I've met him. Know who he is though. I've been doing two minute rotations, so I think I'll keep doing that, though I may try three minute rotations next time. I've done one one minute rotation, and it went by so quickly, I don't think I got much out of it. I've got about 30 mins so far, and am fairly comfortable with the basics: turns, different fall rates, forward/back/side to side, etc.

I think me and a buddy are going to sign up for the adult league. We're both AFF, though she's a level up on me right now. That would be cheaper for me, and I think I'd learn at a faster rate too.

And yes, the skydiving fund definitely feels the cost of tunnel time. But it's like crack...I should just get a job there! I'll look for Travis on Saturday if I get time. I'm scheduled for Level 2 and 3, so it will be a busy morning; hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Congrats on the B!
Chris

Cool! If you got turns, fall rate, and side-slides already done, you're all set for AFF! Just make sure to relax once you're out the door and the dive flow will come naturally.

What I used to (and still do), is on the ground and in the plane ride, visualize the dive. I move my muscles and imagine where I would place my hand for a practice touch, or how I would make a turn. Then, before I actually jump out, I have somewhat of a "muscle memory" of the dive.

Good luck on 2 & 3! Carefull, after lvl 3, it gets way more addicting!:)