StreetScooby

New Hampshire tunnel

Apparently, one is going to open soon. Any word on it? Myself and another group of people are looking to go there, and we're debating to wait or not (e.g., "air stability issues" during first phase operations, etc). 3 of 4 of my team members have never done a wind tunnel, including myself, and there are some unclear concerns.

Debate also centers around whether we should just fly to Eloy's, Florida tunnels, etc.

Any input would be appreciated.
We are all engines of karma

Yup, SkyVenture New Hampshire is real, it is being built in Nashua, NH, and it should be open to the public in early August. As with any construction project, unexpected things can happen, and those unexpected things rarely speed up the process. But, I think the early August date is looking pretty good... So, I would check out their website, and contact them with any questions/concerns that you have (or PM me, and I'll offer you my opinion). Also, the owners have also posted a bunch to this thread.

As far as being concerned about being one of the first to fly in a new tunnel - not to worry - the systems will be well checked out prior to allowing the general public to fly. They have to train their staff somewhere B|

Why would you go to Eloy or Florida when one of the best tunnels around is in your back yard?? Unless you just can't wait another 3 weeks or so to fly ;) Hope to see you in Nashua soon.

I'm not sure what safety concerns you have - but the tunnel is running just fine. My team has had the opportunity to fly in Skyventure NH (during some downtime in staff training to see how it was for 4-way) and it is fast, smooth, and copes with a body being against a wall better than any non-recirc. tunnel that I've been in (orlando and perris). We were also in there during some nasty storming outside and even with the doors open didn't feel a bit rain. When I say smooth - I mean a noticable difference - the airflow is clean and I never felt any turbulance.

It's got eight panels instead of ten, so the corners are a bit deeper (it's a little bit bigger than perris and orlando) and it's well lit inside - they've got lights above and below.

Last impression is that the sucker is FAST, when they were just cranking it up I saw airspeed hit 160 and I'm not sure that that was max power.

All of us on the east coast are in for a treat! Construction progess is moving along well and they'll be open to skydivers and the wuffo public in August!

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

"Big enough" to turn pieces is a relative term. A few years ago, Airspeed apparently was able to execute EVERY block as a 4-way in the Orlando tunnel. The NH tunnel is certainly big enough to fly most if not all 2-way pieces. The more experienced the team, the more people you'll be able to safely fly in there.

We've found, though, that we get more out of using the time to clean up all of our individual flying and work out 2-way piece stuff (and some four-way random work) - rather than spend a lot of time doing 4-way blocks.

I remember being very humbled by the tunnel when we first got in... We weren't ready to do 4-way for a while. Especially if it's the first time for most people on the team, I'll plan to do a bunch of solo and pair work to get the most out of your first camp. Of course if everyone is doing well and flying on their centerpoints, then go for some four-way random work... It's just that it can be demoralizing if you rush into 4-way and spend all your time banging into the walls. If you build up gradually, everyone will leave happy...

See you around!

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Exactly our experience. Block work is great fun in the tunnel, but it takes quite a bit of commitment to work up to it. For piece move blocks with all 4 of us, we very much enjoyed doing 5-6 for the verts and spacing lesson in the tunnel. 16s and 17s were nice, too. Of course "random" drills can also include blocks 7,9,14 and 15 too.

We still aren't necessarily willing to take on the other blocks in a 12 footer other than maybe 11? But you can do a lot for the other blocks by putting in only 2 or 3 people at a time.

Individual skills stuff and random work is huge bang for the buck. In fact, I want to go back for another camp right now. Stupid addictive wind tunnels....{{grumble}}

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants