freeflyimpaired

Fastest Tunnel?

Wow, have they actually flown them all? That sure is alot of tunnels to compare!

I'm SOO sorry, please pardon me for not putting a question mark at the end of my post. They have not flown in any tunnels whatsoever it was just a simple question as to which tunnel can create the fastest air speed. As far as this morning goes I no longer care but thanks for the extremely helpful posts.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Wow -- questions about tunnels usually get valid responses! How weird!

Since no one else has attempted to actually answer -- I'll give you my two cents Joe...but no guarantees that I actually know what I'm talking about
;)

I would say that , at the moment, the fastest tunnels would be Colorado (of course!) Eloy, and AirKix.

Of those -- Colorado clearly has the coolest staff and best facilities :)

Oh, and one more thing...Ninjas ARE way cooler than pirates.

Far too sensible, Flunky...

Bedford is such a beast we've actually blocked the tunnel from doing it's real max speed. This is done mechanically, for safety - it would be much, much too fast if we didn't - it's a BEAST!

With the current safety restrictriction in place, our customers have told us we're about on a par with the fastest new S.V. tunnels.

Does anyone know how fast AAC goes? In video clips the flyers are often wearing baggy suits, but is that just because its not always cranked right up?
How fast could the air at an L1 tunnel go if it was directed into an indoor flight chamber, with walls? Dawn?

at 70% of power, which is AAC's current high until the one piece fan is installed runs around 128mph on average.

With the new fan at 100% of power we expect speeds in excess of 140..

We don't usually use baggy suits but the owner wears a really big one. He prefers to fly at around 100mph though.. we usually pick a speed near 115 for play & practice and have no need for suits. I wear jeans & a tshirt or sweatshirt regularly, or my tight freefly suit.

Edited to add: volume... not necessarily speed makes a big difference in each air column. For instance.. I've flown portables that clock in around `150 mph.. but without the volume of an AAC or SV type.

Without saying WHO.. one of our tunnelrats suspects that Airkix is possibly the fastest... not including any flights in Colorado.. but all the rest were included in the comparison.

SV New Hampshire is probably a good contender... Since they are the newest SV to "flip the switch" they are the ones that (for the moment) have the latest & greatest technology that SV has to offer. As others have mentioned, top speed is limited for safety reasons - tunnel top speeds have gotten faster than most humans can fly, so "top speed" is not as important as it used to be...

Bragg rocks. Very smooth air, the smoothest I have flown in.

SV Co. had me maxed out at about 70% power. I could not stay down and was actually looking at the fans when I wanted to get big.

Either of those two wins IMO, but I have not been to England or AAC.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334