PROGRESSIVE

Portable Wind Tunnels

So my father-in-law saw this commercial on portable wind tunnels, and he has this crazy idea of getting me into the business. I don't think he knows the ramifications of such a business, nor the cost. I really can't say I know more than him other than flying in one is a lot of fun.

Questions:

What is the best portable wind tunnel?
Where do I buy it?
How much does it cost?
How much does it depreciate over time?
How much does it cost to run?
What part, or mechanical piece fails most often, or requires replacement, and what is the typical cost for this part, eg: motor, gears, etc.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pete

Sounds like you should consult with John he's been doing that for quite a few years now.. and helping people just like you get started or at least make the decision...

quickly though the answers are...
1. the best manufacturer of portable tunnels is Bodyflying AG in Switzerland.. the best in the states is Jus' Fly.. they build to suit your needs..
buy direct brand new from the man. and pay 300+K per unit..
buy used.. you can pay between 50K-300K depending on what..
Depreciation I shouldn't speak of... not sure there is 'appreciation' in the first place ;)
40-100/hr gas.. the rest you can guestimate.. 3 staff.. travel expenses.. etc
you can expect a good venue to pay 5K a day or more... or if you have a location 75-200 flyers per day.. again all depends
most common failure is overheating.. general mistreatment of parts... motors go quickly.. heads crack motors blow under inappropriate operating conditions..
added: motor rebuild 30K.. new one 100K give or take a few k:)
there is a portable for sale now with blown pistons & main bearings gone.. needs the motor rebuilt or replaced but otherwise in great shape.. can even be improved..under 200K

again contact John

I've been looking at John's sight, and others. The inflatible tunnel looks appealing due to the cushion factor. The other enclosed metal cage design looks a little scarey if someone screws up. But that's only looking at the pictures. Looks can be deceiving.

Thanks!

Pete

We market several different types of tunnels & manufacturers, and also find ourselves with the job of selling used ones. John walks folks through the deal and we get paid usually by the manufacturers on such a thing.

Please please please. do not buy any of the packages you see on bodyflight.com website. While Peter, the owner is a great guy who is sitting on a great piece of history, we receive dozens and dozens of complaints about his packages; specially the 100 paypal package with 'specs' and so forth. Most people are extrememly dissapointed in this as it contains almost nothing you can find on one of our websites for free. Before spending any money at a tunnel website, make sure you email the company first to make sure they respond FIRST before you give them any money toward research & information.

We formalized what John does a few years back because of the unscrupulous behavior of a couple 'would be' manufacturers who were selling unsafe equipment. Our goal is to keep everyone safe, we would like to see this sport continue for a long time, and safety will be a key player in making that happen.

The wall to wall environment is really a matter of opinion. Some people prefer it, others stay as far away as they can from it. I'm running stats now on injuries since the wall to wall tunnels have come out.. I'm fairly certain there have been ALOT more of these injuries these last few years in wall to wall air tunnels.. more so than the traditional 'tuck and roll' open air tunnels

regardless.. a portable can be built to either customization...

The TRUE deciding factor here is WHY DO YOU WANT ONE and WHO do you want to service? That will easily decide wether you want Portable vs. Permanent, Diesel or Electric, 10 or 12 feet etc...

Happy to chat anytime..

The Canadian Army Parachute School (Trenton, Ontario near upstate New York) desperately needs a wind tunnel and several other US military-related schools would like more tunnel time.
Maybe you could do military contracts Monday to Friday, then entertain the tourists on weekends.