Cookiemunster

Wind Tunnel in Colorado

MINUS 8 outside. Record cold temps tonight. My windshield washer fluid, rated not to freeze, froze...

But, I flew with my shorts and tee-shirt under my RW suit... And I was warm.

So, let me put that in perspective, in the terms of :D's.

1st time flying in a tunnel - and sleeping in my own bed that night.
1st time flying in a tunnel - and snowboarding the next day.
1st time flying in a tunnel - on my way home from work.
1st time flying in a tunnel - with my Colorado friends.

Gee, how much beer do I owe?

Well, the instructors are just finishing up their training... They have a lot of non-skydiver "entertainment customers", who are friends of friends, coming in for the final instructor training.

I have tunnel time in Orlando, Perris and Eloy...

I can say - this tunnel is my favorite... Ok, I might be bias as that I live here - but...

It is true that Eloy is a bigger - but I did not feel cramped, even flying the big/long two ways (open, half phalanx, cats, etc).

The anti-chamber is huge. We were able to dirt dive with ease, with people sitting on the bench. And the bench is comfy.

The facilities are for sure the nicest of all the tunnels. With the curved grand staircase with glass railings, top notch construction, the tunnel really projects the right image to the non-skydiving community.

Did I mention it is quiet? I think the anti-chamber and tunnel itself was much more quiet - I did not have to strain to hear when we were talking.

The gear they have on the shelf is real nice.

There are cool little things - like the computer readout on the screen tells the exact wind speed and power level. As I looked over at the speed before starting to fly, I learned exactly what to expect and, in the future, I now know what to ask for so the first few moments are not fumbling around.

Ok, so you guys probably don't want to know about the restrooms (which are going to be real nice, two people can actually use them at the same time!)... You want to know about the air.

Smoooooooooth.... My grips were light, we were staying in the same spot vertically, flying my slot felt easy, none of that up and down fighting you feel when a tunnel reacts to outside intake disturbances.

I just think this place is going to be special... As I said, tomorrow I am going snowboarding... How cool is that?

What does this mean for skydivers??? Well, how many skydivers want to plan a family vacation where everyone gets to have fun??? Or, maybe those of you with a wuffo boyfriend... In the summer, the mountains are still beautiful for a visit - and the tunnel is just a light rail train ride to the baseball stadium, downtown, etc. In the winter, you can, take the light rail to Union Station, and then take the ski train to Winter Park... Without renting a car, you can truly ski and fly in the same day. Or, maybe Sixflags at the end of the lightrail line is more up your kids alley?

Oh, and what about my piece partner tonight... Well, for a "big way" girl as she called herself, flyangel2, can really fly...

I don't know if you guys have visited www.coloradoskydivingleague.com yet - however as league director, I am real excited that there will be a tunnel league...

Like a kid in a candy store, I am...

Hey Travis, holy long post is right but thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed it so much and thanks for helping with the trash! It was a pleasure meeting you and come back anytime.

Hey Joe, I hope a few of those pictures turned out OK (the ones you posted looked cool.) I just kept snapping hoping I'd get one decent one. When we get the camera INSIDE set up, it will be sweeeet.

Awesome flying both you guys! It's cool to chill with the pros. :)
As for the temp, got down to NEGATIVE 14 folks. Still warm as summer in that tunnel. Can't stop smiling. B|

They seem to have a little ways to go before they are ready for the public.

Yeah. Like the midle of next week.B|

We've had guests all week for the new staff to train with, and are just waiting on carpet and the city to grant a TCO and we'll be off to the races.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Oh, and what about my piece partner tonight... Well, for a "big way" girl as she called herself, flyangel2, can really fly...

Are you flying with someone else behind my back, you slut:P

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Derek said the carpet looks great and it really cut down on the dust so the chamber shouldn't get so dirty so quick. Upstairs was done yesterday and they are doing the downstairs today.

I think the boys are back in the tunnel monday working on their flying skills.

I fogot to add, congrats to Derek, Jason, Brad, Flip, and Matt for getting their instructor ratings.
Fly it like you stole it!

The carpet looks sweet! The place is really coming together!

In addition to congratulating Derek,Brad, Jason, Flip, and Matt -- thanks to JP and Chris for being awesome flyers and bringing a lot of depth and knowledge to the team.

We really do have a fantastic group of guys!

Make sure to stay tuned -- I'm sure there will be a race to post as soon as we officially open our doors to the public!

Oh, and one more thing...Ninjas ARE way cooler than pirates.

I too can't wait to see it. I'll be down there to work on Monday.

Here are pictures of my boys during some of the test flights.

I'm a bad, bad mom. Both my boys asked when they could fly again. I told them after they earned enough money to buy slots. I'm like a drug dealer. I gave them just a taste, and now they want more:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Awwww...they had my pookie bear as their instructor. Can we get pookie bear embroidered on his next tunnel suit. >:(

I didn't want Derrick to be nervous about taking my sons, so I didn't tell him who they were, but he figured it during the session.

I'd love to see Derrick walking around with Pookie Bear embroidered on his jumpsuit:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'd love to see Derrick walking around with Pookie Bear embroidered on his jumpsuit:ph34r:

Poor bastard. Talk about losing credibility with customers pretty much instantly. :S

Sure, for the super rigid full of testosterone football players who have something to prove to the guys - who probably won't loosen up and be let go because they will be bouncing on the glass... Probably no credibility lost for the slightly nervous, girls, who would appreciate something like that, who will loosen up and relax and outfly their boyfriends:);):$B|:o...

Yes - I just expressed some stereotypes... Sorry.:)

It was just a joke travis. ;) But seriously, meeting your instructor and seeing "sweet-cheeks" or "babycakes" on his jumpsuit... that'd definitely be one of those "Oh shit, what did I get myself into??" moments for me. :D

Enough with discussing these "very important" issues, I saw the carpet last night! Couldn't resist peeking through the window real quick on my way home yesterday and WOW it looks really cool! Definitely like the big flying guy logos on the walls too. :)

Well, thanks to the fabulous gang at the Colorado tunnel, my boyfriend and I got a few minutes of flying time in over the weekend. We had so much fun and I am so impressed with the new tunnel! I've only been to the one in Orlando before this and comparing the two is like comparing the Model-T to a Ferrari!

Huge improvements have been made over the last few years in both the design and facility. The tunnel was so quiet, we were able to hold conversations in normal voices while people were flying. And, I can't get over how comfortable it was inside while it was 0 degrees outside! :o We stopped by on Monday after the carpet was laid and the walls were being painted and I must say it looks very classy. I look forward to seeing it again once it gets decorated and pictures get hung. Hmmm...anyone have any World Record photos they can hang? ;)

JP did a great job with my boyfriend on his first trip to the tunnel and he even got me flying again on my belly with what were very rusty skills. Mary has done a great job getting a friendly and positive staff together. It's certainly going to be a fun place to hang-out at and with such a great location, it should be pretty easy for people to combine going to the tunnel while they are doing other things on their vacations, like we did.

Thanks to everyone for a great time! :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Mary has done a great job getting a friendly and positive staff together.

Oh my:o:$ You can thank the owners (Norm and Joe) for putting together such a great staff.

We, the staff at SVC are the lucky ones. We have such a great bunch of people to work with.

The owners of the tunnel, the Rosendale's, Hart's, Hoffman's, Macrae's and Burke's are the best family to be part of. I know most of you reading this might be thinking; "Wow, that's a lot of people who you have to answer to." But really, they are all family with in-laws involved in the business. The staff at SVC are just part of the extended family. It really doesn't get much better.

You can also thank Cherrie Rosendale and Collete Macrae for the great painting of the inside. I hear they (all the owners and their wives) were down at the tunnel on Saturday and Sunday, being busy little bees.

Edit to add: Now that the carpet is in, the glass for the tunnel chamber won't get so dirty. That damn dry wall dust got every where[:/] The poor tunnel rats would clean and clean the chamber and it would look dirty after one flight.

I guess I won the "first to post" battle!

SkyVenture Colorado is now OPEN for business!

We have some fantastic deals available for a very limited time.

Please call 303.768.9000 and speak with Mary for more info!

Oh, and one more thing...Ninjas ARE way cooler than pirates.