barroch

Doing AFF in New Zealand...?

Just thought I'd tell yall about this cracking little DZ in Themes, New Zealand. Its about 1hours drive from Auckland. It is called Garlyn Skydivers and is run by Garth and Lyn funily enough!

This dropzone was an absolute pleasure to continue my AFF training at. I started my AFF (Levels 1-5) in Queensland Australia, also a good dropzone, and continued here. One huge plus for me was that I was converted to the two handle reserve deployment rig, BOC (sport rig). Why other dropzones dont use these systems in AFF is beyond me because it was so much easier! Gareth was a brilliant coach and Lyn was very friendly on the phone sorting travel and accom out for me. This dropzone is soley interested in getting as many people interested in the sport as possible. They dont take any tandems at all so you can basically jump as often as the weather (& your wallet!) allows, which is often not the case in many of the backpacker, tandem orientated DZs in NZ and OZ. Also, the instructer is only concentrated on you and not the fit little Swedish girl he's taking up next on his tandem!

One slight down side for me (which could be a plus for others) is that there was only us jumping at the dropzone. I loved the banter and chat between the skydivers in Queensland, but it did lack that here. It did focus my efforts on the task in hand (bending my f*****g knees hey gaz!) and passing my AFF, but I did miss chatting to a range of charaters that were presant in Queenland. Other than this minor, minor thang it was an absolute pleasure!

Hope yall found this usful.

Baz