bailey46

AFF exit/setup from CASA

Hello everyone,

Myself and some fellow instructors will be doing several AFFs out of a CASA over the next few weeks, and I've been hearing some conflicting opinions about the best setup and exit count for the student (e.g. up/down/out vs. down/up/out; check left or right first, etc.). I would be interested in any feedback or advice from anyone with significant experience with tailgate exits.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Myself and some fellow instructors will be doing several AFFs out of a CASA over the next few weeks, and I've been hearing some conflicting opinions about the best setup and exit count for the student (e.g. up/down/out vs. down/up/out; check left or right first, etc.). I would be interested in any feedback or advice from anyone with significant experience with tailgate exits.

Thanks!

with the exit backing off the tailgate not diving off, the approach is a little tricky

we've always used: check left, right, up, down, arch

depending on the size of the jumpers it can be a tight fit, suggest you walk thru it with gear on, hold the bar from underneath - have seen some bad stuff when the hand was on top of the bar
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

I was taught and have done it with the same set up and count as a left side door. Only modification was lingo.

Main side controls the student to the ramp hinge, turns the students left hip to the ramp as they crab the over head and move to the edge. Reserve Side, who has checked the spot and separation, is waiting near the left edge of the ramp (Video is in the right corner, if present). The trio is all set up at the ramp edge and the count begins.

"Check right, Check Left, Front! Up! Down! Arch!

The two Instructors stay hip to hip with the student and make their transitions just as mentioned before.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!