rajsingh0621

AFF and A Rating

Hi everyone, I'm new to skydiving so I had few questions which I couldn't figure out from FAQ. With AFF, you can jump solo after 7th or 8th jump, but you need at least 25 jumps before getting A rating.

Can you tell me what will the A rating allow me to do vs completing the AFF course and doing a 9th jump solo?

Here's what I assume and please correct me if I'm wrong. With the A rating, I can go to any drop zone and show them my A rating and pay $25 or so for each jump. But until I get the A rating, I have to stay at the same school where I did AFF training, because only they know I'm allowed to jump solo and only they will let me. Or I have to carry AFF certificate with me wherever I go until I get an A rating, and afterwards only carry my A rating wherever I go.

Just needed a little more clarification on this.

Having an A license will make it a lot easier to move from one dropzone to another, but moving from one dropzone to another once you've completed AFF (or even before you have completed AFF) is not impossible. However, before you're A licensed, instructors at the new dropzone may want to do a jump or two with you to assess your skills prior to letting you jump solo.

Once you have your A license, you are presumed to be an independent skydiver who comes in with the right qualifications to make a jump without any further validation. As long as you meet the USPA requirements for staying current, you'll be able to go into most dropzones and make a jump without further validation of your skills. I say most because there are a few dropzones that restrict their jumping to folks with higher licenses (B, C, or D depending on the circumstances) because of difficult / very small landing areas or landing conditions. Those are fairly rare, though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks. Also after I begin jumping solo, I read that I will be supervised at the drop zone until I get my A rating. Will that be with an instructor jumping with me or just supervising me from the ground with a radio I guess. And if they're on the ground supervising, any estimate on how much they charge for that. Thanks.

The interpretation of "supervision" can vary from dropzone to dropzone - you might work with an instructor to plan a solo dive flow, or have an instructor review a solo dive plan, or the instructors may just be accessible to you as needed. For some of your post-AFF jumps (commonly called "coach jumps") you'll be working with an instructor or coach to do some in-air skill evaluations. For other skills that you need to complete for your A license (such as some of the canopy skills), you'll be able to do them on solo jumps and discuss them with an instructor to get them signed off when you're back on the ground.

As for cost, how much solo jumps and coach jumps cost varies by dropzone, and can vary depending on whether gear rental is priced separately or as part of the jump.

As for radio, again, that can vary from dropzone to dropzone and even from student to student, depending on how the student is doing with canopy control. Some will no longer use radio after AFF, others may use it for jumps after AFF.

While we can give you general information on here, your best bet is to do two things.

1) Get yourself a copy of the USPA SIM (I'm making an assumption that you are in the U.S. - if not, sorry!). You can buy it from USPA or from a dropzone, or download it, or browse it online. http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

2) Talk to the people at the dropzone where you're intending to learn. They'll have the best information about the student program and what you can expect. Make sure you have clear information about what to expect for AFF jumps, solo jumps, coach jumps, gear rental (as I said above, sometimes it's baked into the cost of the student jump, sometimes it's priced separately), packing classes, USPA membership (you can join on your own, but some dropzones include this in the price of the program for some reason), SIM (again, you can get it on your own but it might be "included" in the cost of your program).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi everyone, I'm new to skydiving so I had few questions which I couldn't figure out from FAQ. With AFF, you can jump solo after 7th or 8th jump, but you need at least 25 jumps before getting A rating.

Can you tell me what will the A rating allow me to do vs completing the AFF course and doing a 9th jump solo?

Well for starters is really is more a comparison of student jumps vs having a license.

No matter what, you are limited to who you may jump with until you get the 25 jumps and complete the requirements.

So until you get a license you will only be allowed to jump with a coach or higher, or in some cases with a single person who holds a "D" license and has been approved by the S&TA.

Here's what I assume and please correct me if I'm wrong. With the A rating, I can go to any drop zone and show them my A rating and pay $25 or so for each jump. But until I get the A rating, I have to stay at the same school where I did AFF training, because only they know I'm allowed to jump solo and only they will let me.

Depends.

With a license you are able to go to any USPA DZ and they should let you jump with no issue provided you are current. You will need to provide a logbook that shows the date of your last jump.

Without a license you *may* be allowed to jump provided you can show your logbook showing that you are cleared for solo jumps. Some DZ's may require a checkout dive. This is going to depend on the DZ's rules.

I used to go to several DZ's long before I had a license (I had 100 jumps before I got a license). They all knew me so no one cared. BUT by the USPA rules I was still a student. This was also 17 years ago and the rules were a lot more lax.

Get the "A" license... Once you fill out your proficiency card, the DZ can stamp it and bingo... you have an "A" license. It costs you nothing.

Personally, I think it best to stay at one DZ till you have the 25 jumps. But after that, I think it best to go to several DZ's as long as they all seem safe.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

At our Drop Zone SkyDive San Marcos you have to successfully complete an additional 7 coach jumps.The 25 total jumps is just a part of your A license. You should have an A license profiency card and each time you complete a requirement be sure and get an AFF instructor to sign it off. Have fun while your doing this!

Thanks. Also after I begin jumping solo, I read that I will be supervised at the drop zone until I get my A rating. Will that be with an instructor jumping with me or just supervising me from the ground with a radio I guess. And if they're on the ground supervising, any estimate on how much they charge for that. Thanks.

for me, being supervised, was going over the winds (from ground to altitude) with an instructor, going over the landing pattern and holding zone, a brief dive flow (always have a plan even when you are by yourself), a gear check, and some help spotting from an experienced jumper on the load.

you will be jumping with coaches, instructors, and possibly d license holders while on student status. some things you have to have signed off on your a card. http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Form_ALicenseProgandApp.pdf

depending on where you jump and what is included in the package (if you choose to do it that way), you will have to pay the coaches to jump. some just charge a lift ticket and pack job, and some charge more.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."