smoothflyin

Coach Course

I just finished my coach, and i highly suggest Kip Lohmiller, Air rage skydiving... he taught a basic body flight with the class.. very helpful. Kip also uses modern skydiving techniques... in our class he used an AFF student who was having trouble.. after working with him and explaining some basic body flight positions.. he passed his level that he was struggling with..

But thats a personal opinion of mine, good luck!
6 in 2 out

I just completed the Coach course under John Wade. We studied and worked together for a few weeks at our DZ in anticipation, We also had several AFF instructors filling us in on how the course will be laid out and what we need to be working on. I can Say one thing, John Wade is very serious about the course and it was very intense, The ground prep is the meat of the program, 3 days worth. I really enjoyed it and we all took in tons of information.. Dozens of Hot Tips formed from actual experiences of our evaluators, all of which we incorporated into our lesson plans.. I am really proud of my rating regardless of my low jump numbers. I know that is an issue with some here. The course has made better skydivers of us all.
The end result is directly connected to the effort applied

I just started the process to becoming a coach. I just ordered a new SIMS and my first IRM. I usually freefly - so I did all belly jumps this weekend JUST to make sure I'm ready. I feel I am - even got compliments on my exits.

My real concern was that I received real shitty coaching (not gonna say where). I was laughed at in freefall, the butt of jokes in public, and basically bullied. I left that DZ and now I call 3 other DZs my home and family. I worked on my issues (mostly landing patterns) and I feel I'm ready to be a good coach and NOT one of the THOSE types of coaches I had. I'm actually going to use my bad experience as a reminder of what not to do.

I haven't started the classes yet, but that soon. Good luck to all that are in the process - giving back to the sport is the best reward!!!

doing my coach rating in january...looking forward to it and the adventures that follow.;)

My suggestion for anyone getting ready for the coach course - make a couple practice training dives ahead of time to get used to the potentialy very different altitudes at which you will need to perform very important tasks.

If you've been sport jumping, and tracking off at say 4K, W&P at 3K; a couple jumps with a veteran that can pretend to be a student will help. The hard decks representing the line between fail or pass on the eval jumps will come up very quickly if you are used to pulling at 3K or lower.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley