yoink

AFF level 1

Rather than cluttering up the thread in the incidents forum on the Level 1 cypres fire, I though I'd ask my questions in here.

I did all my training SL, so my knowledge of the specific levels of AFF is a little weak.

On a level 1 jump, what must be happening for BOTH instructors to release the student? I would have guessed that the primary's 1st concern on that jump would be keeping hold of the student and deploying for them if it becomes necessary - even if it's a really ugly dive?

Again, no implied critisism of the instuctors involved is intended, but I was curious how difficult it is for a student on a level 1 to lose both instructors down to cypres level?

There is a video on the WWW of a student who loses both instructors and finally gets belly down and deploys... all alone. I will hunt for it and post a link to it if I can find it.

If I remember the video correctly... the student tumbles so wildly and for so long that he/sh throws both instructors off. By the time both are off, he/she is falling really fast and descends below them.

Should it happen... nope. Has it ever happened? Yes. That is precisely why AFF students are taught that if they lose one instructor to simply continue the dive flow, but if they lose BOTH to DEPLOY IMMEDIATELY.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

On a level 1 jump, what must be happening for BOTH instructors to release the student?

The plan is that neither instructor will release the student on a level 1 jump. However, given specific circumstances, that plan can change.

One instructor will release if he thinks if it will help the other instructor. For example, if all 3 are on their back, one instructor may release in order to allow the other to help with a rollover. You generally can't do a rollover with a second instructor hanging on to the other side.

Both instructors letting go is really never in the plan. Of course it does happen, and it's happened to me, and it really isn't any fun at all. The cause of both instructors letting go is probably miss-communication between the instructors, something there really isn't any excuse for.

Lastly, the plan totally changes again come deployment time. Instructors are expected to give up and pull well before 2000 feet, whether or not the student has pulled.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.