altichick

What do you charge/ get paid for refresher training?

Hi just wanted some opinions and info from other AFFIs/ DZs...

How long since their last training or jump does your dz let a student go before charging them for a refresher class? Is it different if
1. They are still in AFF (ie levels 1-7)
2. Finished AFF but not A licensed
3. Licensed but uncurrent

At what point do students have to re-do (and pay for) a FJC rather than just a refresher?

What are they charging the student for refresher training and what does the instructor receive?

Thanks guys

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

I thought that as part of the student program that included any and all ground training needed for that jump including a refresher as needed. In AFF the student is usually paying $175+ for the jump, that should include any refresher needed.

We don't charge for licenced or unlicenced jumpers for their recurrency beyond slot for the Instructor.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

We don't charge for licenced or unlicenced jumpers for their recurrency beyond slot for the Instructor.

Who is "we"?

If you're still at Xenia, your website says there's a $30.00 charge for refresher training for students who haven't jumped in 30 days......
Owned by Remi #?

What about a student that has gone months since taking the FJC? Or maybe did one jump and then came back months later?

Do the instructors get paid for the longer than usual ground training/ refresher or just have to suck it up as part of the job?

Currently our instructors only get $25 per student for a refresher class, and that (most extreme case) could be a single student who took the FJC 11 and a half months ago and only made one jump and needs pretty much a full FJC. Just wondering what other dz's policies were.

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

Huh, the site says that but I've never seen that charge issued yet this year. I'm one of about 3 that do refreshers for the licenced jumpers and I've never had manifest charge them yet this year and that includes 1 person that needed 3 hours to go over the material.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If they have not been cleared for self supervision (still on AFF), and it had been almost a year, I don't think charging them the cost of a whole FJC class would be out of line.

Alot of times, if it hasn't been that long, they may be told to come to the next class and just not be charged for it. If they show up at the dz after 6 months ready to do Level 5, we quiz them and see how much they remember and then from that we decide how much training they need.

Some may need to sit through the first jump course again. [:/]

j

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Hey chick, I think this is what we do at our DZ ...
if they are between levels 1 and 7 they will pay £50 refresher training if its been 3 months or more since their last retrain. More than 6 months, they re-sit the course and depending on what level they were on before etc will determine which level you restart them at.
If they have finished AFF but have not got their license then if its less than 6 months since they jumped, I am pretty sure we don't charge them but if its more than 6 months but less than 12 months then they pay £50 refresher training and do a repeat AFF level with an AFFI before being allowed to continue where they left off. If its been more than 12 months, then same as above, maybe more than one repeat level and possibly sit in on a days ground school for refresher training.
For licensed but uncurrent, it depends on how many jumps they have done and how long they have left it, generally if less than 30 jumps, we treat them as almost qualified atudents. If more than 30 jumps, depending on how long its been, they may require a shadow dive with instructor after doing retrain on mals and reserve drills etc.
Hope this helps!