sergant

AFFI

[Two questions/comments...

1) Does Stokes have something there, was he really making the point that if two instructors give a signal the student may over react??? Thus, is there a best-practice procedure to have only one instructor give commands at any one time (unless it is something like pull)???

2) Based upon my experience thus far coaching (limited), I find that sometimes even the most clear hand signal (legs out) does nothing... So I would have thought evaluators would sometimes not respond at all to signals to see how you deal with it... But from everyone I talk to, they always say the evaluators will respond... I guess we can't be that lucky with real students, huh???

Hell, I'm happy if a student responds to one signal. I actually had a first jump student last week think my PULL signal was me pointing at the cameraman and trying to get the student to smile for the camera! :S
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I actually had a first jump student last week think my PULL signal was me pointing at the cameraman and trying to get the student to smile for the camera! :S

Me too! :D
Too bad for him though, because he did perfect up until that point, and I had to pull for him so he had to repeat that level. [:/]

I have seen one student on video give the "peace sign" back to his Instructor while he was back sliding. :ph34r:

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Two questions/comments...

1) Does Stokes have something there, was he really making the point that if two instructors give a signal the student may over react??? Thus, is there a best-practice procedure to have only one instructor give commands at any one time (unless it is something like pull)???

Having the reserve side there is mainly to hold the student stable, while the main side is able to release with one hand, give the correct hand signals if the student needs them, and to assist the student during the pull.
I have seen on video, the main side and reserve side giving 2 different hand signals to the student. :S
To avoid this situation, if I even have a reserve side with me, I always explain to them that "I" will be the one to give hand signals to the student during the jump, but then again, on many of the student level 3 release jumps, the reserve side will hose the exit and never get back in the skydive, which really pisses me off.........>:(

2) Based upon my experience thus far coaching (limited), I find that sometimes even the most clear hand signal (legs out) does nothing... So I would have thought evaluators would sometimes not respond at all to signals to see how you deal with it... But from everyone I talk to, they always say the evaluators will respond... I guess we can't be that lucky with real students, huh???

Most I/E's will respond to signals, but some I/E's dont want an Instructor candidate that is over eager to give the hand signals when they feel it's not needed, and then it may look as though they aren't responding. One of the most important things you have to learn as an AFFI is to, "let the student fly". ;)
Good ground prep with your student and seeing how and what they repeat back to you about their skydive, will usually translate to a good skydive while your in the air. :)
You'll find that alot of student won't respond to any signals at times, which comes from being overwhelmed on the skydive.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I've never had a student track away from me on exit but had one so stiffened up and doing a hellacious back slide that I was practically in a full track to keep us from spinning. And of course I couldn't give any handsignals without losing the grip control on my student. He looked really pissed and when I stuck my tongue out at him (signal for legs out) he just got more pissed and even worse.

No shit, there I was praying for pull time!!!