NWFlyer

How do you know when you're ready?

The "Coach Requirements" thread has triggered a question I've been meaning to ask here for a while...

I've sensed there's a general consensus that the USPA minimums for instructional ratings are a bit on the low side, and I certainly don't feel like I should go get my coach rating right now, even though technically I could (if I bothered to fill out the B license paperwork, anyway).

Well, I might be able to get it (and of course there's no guarantee I'd pass the course), but I certainly wouldn't feel that I had any right to charge for my services. At this point, and knowing my own skills, I'd rather continue to improve my own abilities, and work with newer jumpers on a more informal basis - taking them on two-ways, helping them "break in" to the jumping scene, and giving feedback if I happen to notice something they're doing.

But the question is... how do you know you're ready? What are the skills/attributes in yourself as a jumper that make you ready to join the instructional ranks? Obviously, the requirements are going to be different depending on what rating, but I'd be interested in peoples' experiences, particularly if you feel like you started too soon ... how did you know you were over your head? How did you decide "now's the time" to get [whatever] rating?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I think confidence plays a big part. Be it known that confidence is completely different from hot-headed-ness. I used to think I could do everything, I was way off. You should be confident that you will be able to teach the student effectively, otherwise it's a waste of their time and money. Instructing is a completely different world from fun jumping, cause at that point, the skydive is not about you. So you need to have the skills to preform the skydive, but be it on a subconcious level. Such that you fly outside of yourself to optimize maximum instruction possible, if that makes any sense. And if you fail the course, then you probably aren't ready, which sucks cause then it was a waste of your time and money. I do find instructors ratings rewarding however. It's pretty cool to be able to teach and mold new skydivers. Goodtimes.

USPA Strong T-I, AFF-I, Coach, Videographer/photographer.

Why don't you ask your S&TA or whomever heads the instructional staff at you DZ if they think you are ready? In part because even if you get the rating your DZ may not be interested in using your services for a multitude of reasons...or they may be interested.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I think as long as you realize your own limitations you should do fine. For example I'm an RW guy so if a newer jumper were to approach me about FF I would introduce them to one of my DZs' FF coaches.
Unfortunately I have seen coaches try to teach something that they themselves barely understand.
Coaches are also great sounding boards, if you will, for students. If a student feels like they have more people at a DZ they can approach with questions the more likely they will do so.
As for the coach rating itself it was not what I expected. The flying is the easy part, it's the ground prep that was the most difficult for me.

Why don't you ask your S&TA or whomever heads the instructional staff at you DZ if they think you are ready? In part because even if you get the rating your DZ may not be interested in using your services for a multitude of reasons...or they may be interested.

Oh, the one thing I know is that I'm NOT ready now. Just curious what things to keep an eye out for/work on as I do get more experience. I think I'd like to instruct one day. For now, I'm happy continuing to improve my own skills and jumping with the newbies for fun.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There are two types of coaches:

1. Those that think they know everything.

2. Those that are good coaches.

In every sport/hobby/job ect there are people that do not think that the Minimum needed to get the rating/award/job is enough to do the job well....Well they are correct. Its not enough to have the Minimum...But it is a great place to start. Thats why they HAVE minimums. So people can start to learn how to teach.

The coaches that get a rating and think they know it all are fools.

The coaches that meet the Minimums and realize that they might not have enough knowledge/skills to do a good job and work on it are on the right track.

Even with 3600 jumps I still am working on things....Don't wait till you are perfect to try and get a rating. If you want a rating get the Minimums and commit to learning to be a good teacher.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I got my AFF rating with 400 jumps. Was I ready? Probably not for "anything" but geez, everyone has to start somewhere ... once you get your rating you have shown that you have the capacity to instruct and be safe. I have found that a lot of getting ready is learned through different experiences.

I always said that being an instructor on a skydive is sort of like pulling the handle of a slot machine in Vegas, you never know what is going to come out of the door. As long as you have the basics that you need the rest comes with time.

Time and experience help me with my confidence. The more experience I get, the more I am exposed to, the more I have had to deal with and the readier I feel to continue yet I never get complacent. You can never do that.

I remember when I was pregnant, I asked my friend, how do you know when you are ready to become a Mom? She said no one is ever just ready, you get ready.

I think AFF is similar in that you do what you can to become a good instructor after you achieve your rating and a lot of it is learn as you go. Your rating already says something about you: you can teach skydiving, you can gear a student up, you can control an unruly student, flip them over from their backs to their bellies, stop them from spining and that you have relatively good flying skills. But no one can really predict what is going to happen on every skydive.

I try not to get in over my head while doing AFF, I try to be cautious with my abilities and limitations. But I also find that a lot of my doing AFF is to be on my toes and GET READY for anything. There is a lot of responsibility associated with being an instructor and you have to be pretty heads up about the sport.

Whatever the situation, I have found that you can never get complacent, always save your own life no matter what, then adapt and overcome whatever is necessary to make sure your student is under an open parachute at the correct altitude and that they land safely and hopefully learn as much as they can from the experience of their skydive.

Blue skies and Good luck!
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Maybe an analogy to something else would help. Years ago when I was a lad I qualified to go through Special Forces training. I made it through the Q course. and "earned" the Green Beret. Did I know anything before I took the course? Truthfully, not much. I learned it as I went (both through the course and ESPECIALLY on the A-Team after graduation).

Finishing the Q course said I was qualified to be on an A-Team, but I knew my limitaions. However, after time spent on a team I begin to feel I earned the beret I was wearing.

Now when it comes to USPA coaching I see similarities. If you meet the requirements to go through the class and work hard at it, you'll probably pass. But now the learning begins. Spend time talking to other coaches and AFF instructors about how to teach better. Know your limitations, and grow as you mature in the sport. As previous posters said, if you wait until you "have no more questions" you'll never get any rating.

Good luck, push yourself and exceed your goals!:)

in reply 2 "How did you decide "now's the time" to get [whatever] rating? "

It really helps if you actually know what it is you're teaching.
A lot of modern instructing is done by people who have been taught how to repeat the same old bits of information without necessarily really understanding it fully themselves.
This leaves it open for small information gaps to turn into large ones ..and quickly...and dangerously.

You might know you're ready when you feel that you can truly be trusted to act responsibly knowing that it is another persons life that is being placed in your hands.

Instructors are often derided and sometimes applauded but it doesn't change the simple fact that sometimes they get it wrong.
Are you humble and mature enough to accept your own mistakes/ deficiencies and learn from them?

If not then it would seem inappropriate to place yourself in a situation where you are expected to point out others mistakes when a mistake or misinformation on your part could result in your students death or injury.

Some people think being an instructor is just a way to rack up free skydives.
Some people think being an instructor means that they are an expert skydiver.
Having seen all sorts of people of all sorts of experience levels teaching skydiving it appears to me that the best instructors are the ones that realise they have a lot to learn from their students .

Being an instructor doesn't mean you are excepted from learning yourself .

If you are ready YOU will know it .
If you're not ready but THINK you are hopefully YOUR instructors will recognise you getting your ambitions mixed up with your ability.

Instucting is a position of high responsibility.
In todays litigation environment a gross mistake on your part could be perceived as a criminal act.

Hopefully when you become an instructor you will enjoy teaching as much as being taught.

:)