jsaxton

Coach Rating Experiance Requirements too Low?

Student teachers are under direct supervision of experienced teachers. Same with new grads from medical schools, they have the knowledge base of docs, but are still under the supervision of experienced docs prior to going out on their own.

I agree that teaching provides just as much learning experience as learning. I have taught clarinet/sax for many years, taught bio and chem labs for 4 years, and have been a tutor all through high school and college. As a doc, the most important part of my job is to teach.

I also know that as a teacher, it isn't fair to the student to not have a broad range of experience to draw from.

The thing is most coaches are under supervision while they are working.

Its not like we "I's" just walk off when a guy gets a coach rating.

I still get advice from other "I's", and I give advice to others as well.

We are never really alone.

Get the rating, treat it like it is "A license to learn how to teach".
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It's not just about experience...

Teaching anything -- requires people skills. You have to be able to communicate an idea to someone who can conceptualize what you need them to do. Yes, it's easier to do so if you have been there yourself.

To be coaching...the student must have been cleared for solo jumps...the student has also shown some level of competence at this point. I have low jump numbers...and yet I am close enough to being where they are to understand what it feels like at 40 jumps or 60.... many I have jumped with who have 1000's of jumps don't communicate so well with where I am at.

I jump with a friend who has 40 jumps. It's very humbling to think that I have learned as much as I have...and still so much more to go. It doesn't mean I can't recall what happened on the dive and help him. In many aspects, I am helping myself as well. WE learn it together...just in different ways.
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!