livendive

AFF-I's - Radio instruction from the air?

At Raeford, we use an instructor on the ground for talking down cat A (and sometimes B) students. At least one of the in-air AFFI's also carry a radio in case of off-airport landings. After the first jump or two, only the in-air AFFI talks the student the rest of the way down after he lands. We use small, two-way motorolas for both the student and the in-air instructor. Our students wear the radio, antenna facing down, in a modified CYPRES pouch worn on the chest strap. We as instructors generally wear our radio in the inside pocket of our jumpsuit. The ground instructor has a beefier 4-watt radio.

Chuck

Once the instructor is down, we use a similar system. It's mostly for flare instruction. We either carry the radio with us (the student wears a little motorola with an earpiece under their pro-tec) or leave it in a little structure that is out in our landing area.

Like I said, we use it to guide a student in to land and flare, and we like to see them off radio instruction by Cat C or D at the latest.

We try to have someone else on the ground to work radio. Next step is I will have someone bring it to me. 3rd, I carry it with me for after I land.

I can be on the ground pretty quick. Besides, as pointed out, the radio is a backup. I train students the radio may not work, the batteries could die, your ears could be clogged, or we could forget to turn them on (that one usually gets a laugh)

Todd

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.