jdfreefly

Tandem Instructor Poll: Weight limit on tandems

I agree in thought completely, but.....

The real concern of being over the legal limit is when they put their feet down early and break an ankle and the lawyer convinces a jury that it was gross negligence (over limit) rather than failure to follow directions.

The manufacturer figures in room for error. The reserve won't rip to shreads because you were at 501.

Todd

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

As a small Tandem Instructor with a lot of experience in different disciplines, I have hauled many a "large" person. Very early on in my Tandem experiences I took two guys, one after the other, out of a C-182. The first guy was 6'7 and 265; the second was 6'8 and just over 275. No problem whatsoever other than getting us as a unit out the door of the Cessna and onto the step. Both of those were under EZ 384 mains.

This past weekend I jumped a 283 pound man who was around 6'5 out of a Super Otter. No problem at all on that one either and we landed on the X in the peas under a Sigma 370. Yes, his feet were nearly three feet lower than mine under canopy, but I still got the side straps undone plenty high with a little help from him.

In my experiences (>500 tandems) the only problems I ever encounter are getting the side straps undone (Vector, Sigma, and Eclipse) when jumping those "round" and heavy passengers who slump into their harness after opening. Not a problem at all with my new Racer system. I jumped two guys over 220 yesterday (Thursday) and there is simply no pressure on the side strap releases under canopy. I DID swoop the piss out of those big guys in no-wind conditions under my Firebolt 350 though! Hooty HOO!

Chuck

As a small Tandem Instructor with a lot of experience in different disciplines, I have hauled many a "large" person. Very early on in my Tandem experiences I took two guys, one after the other, out of a C-182. The first guy was 6'7 and 265; the second was 6'8 and just over 275. No problem whatsoever other than getting us as a unit out the door of the Cessna and onto the step. Both of those were under EZ 384 mains.

This past weekend I jumped a 283 pound man who was around 6'5 out of a Super Otter. No problem at all on that one either and we landed on the X in the peas under a Sigma 370. Yes, his feet were nearly three feet lower than mine under canopy, but I still got the side straps undone plenty high with a little help from him.

In my experiences (>500 tandems) the only problems I ever encounter are getting the side straps undone (Vector, Sigma, and Eclipse) when jumping those "round" and heavy passengers who slump into their harness after opening. Not a problem at all with my new Racer system. I jumped two guys over 220 yesterday (Thursday) and there is simply no pressure on the side strap releases under canopy. I DID swoop the piss out of those big guys in no-wind conditions under my Firebolt 350 though! Hooty HOO!

Chuck

It's my understanding the student harness is rated at 255 pounds. Correct me if I'm wrong. That means no one heavier than that can legally tandem.

Buzz

Biggest boy I ever took was 260. Only saving grace was that it was well-distributed, he was about as tall as me and built like a farmer. Spend a little more time discussing the landing and the arch on exit... everything went fine. phew!

I would prefer to keep them smaller than me, which leaves some room since I'm 230.

Since I'm such a porker, I'm used to being the "motivating mass" in a tandem, i.e. my body weight is moving them out the door. It's only happened a couple times, but it's a freaky feeling to be PULLED out the door by the body weight of a student who is bigger than me! It's like "here we go... YEE HAW!"

Elvisio "mover of freight" Rodriguez