DirtyDansGGS

dirty Dan the parachute man

hello everyone I am new to this site. I was just wondering if this was the right place to maybe get some good old stories about my hero my great grandfather dirty Dan Latchford. my greatest memories were running through Midwest as a 7 year old with a pilot chute in tow.if I need to go to a different forum please let redirect me. Thanks Christopher Peterson

DirtyDansGGS

I do not believe he was ever in Florida. He was located at Midwest sales and service up here in Michigan since the 70s but who knows before then.

I have some old (ca. 1963) catalog sheets from Midwest Parachute Sales & Service, but nothing on Dan, personally. I could scan/send them to you, if you're interested.

B9

I was the last new employee he had. He sold the business to Tom Campau, I was suppose to be Toms partner, but couldn't get a loan approved on unemployment. Dan was legally blind so he could only drive his tractor to the corner beer store. He would carry the beer back slung over his leg.His wife Goldie wouldn't give him messages so he would turn down the kilns after her pottery class went to lunch. He would turnit back up before they got back.Did you know the pens in back were from his turkey raising business? He packed test reserves at Wright Patterson USAC base in Dayton Ohio During WWII

yes I remember going for rides around the orchard on that old Rickety looking tractor. The farmhouse, the turkeys I heard about and the ceramics classes continued well into the '80 s.My great grandmother ( Goldie) passed away in1993( God bless that tough little woman. And "puppa" passed years prior at a condo in Novi. I have some Midwest items but am looking now to build a sort of family tribute to both of these fine people as their contributions not be forgotten by my famy in the future.. Thanks for the memory