Spooky52

Ash Dives

I have a question for all of you. I've been out of jumping for quite a while now (30 years) but I still have a place for the sport inside. I am working on my Will and would like to have my ashes scattered during an ash dive. What is the protocol for that? Is the surviving partner pay for the jumps of those participating or is it done during a regularly scheduled jump? I just want to be able to put appropriate instructions in my will and my current partner has never even been around skydiving. Thanks, in advance, for any information you can provide. Please limit your replies to serious comments and leave the BS elsewhere. Thanks.

Jim Chandler D-4501
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!

I have a question for all of you. I've been out of jumping for quite a while now (30 years) but I still have a place for the sport inside. I am working on my Will and would like to have my ashes scattered during an ash dive. What is the protocol for that? Is the surviving partner pay for the jumps of those participating or is it done during a regularly scheduled jump? I just want to be able to put appropriate instructions in my will and my current partner has never even been around skydiving. Thanks, in advance, for any information you can provide. Please limit your replies to serious comments and leave the BS elsewhere. Thanks.

Jim Chandler D-4501

Almost all the ones I have witnessed are done by the friends of the dearly departed doing a memorial dive. I certainly paid for my own slot to send an old friend off .

Get out to the DZ.. and connect up with old friends... reconnect with the sky.

Heck....make some jumps.... the gear is better and the sky is still A W S U M

Jeanne.... D-4888

a

I've participated in an ash dive,with others, for someone that none of us knew. It was requested, and we all did it just out of pure respect for someone's last wishes, and we did it at our own expense.

Someone will be willing to step up and do it. Even easier if it's former friends. And if you provide funding to pay for the jumps, all the better.

Hi Jim~

As mentioned above, if you have any friends from back in the day that are still jumping that would be the easiest route.

If not, simply have your partner contact the local dropzone with the request and I'm confident that arrangements would be made.

I had the honor of releasing the ashes of a woman whom I'd never met some years back...it was a solo dive, 1st out on an otter which then made a separate pass for the rest of the load.

Her son & daughter watched from the ground.

If I recall correctly...the dropzone was paid like 100 bucks.

During the jump, they asked everyone on the DZ for a moment of silence.

It seems she's never MADE a skydive but had always dreamed and often spoke of it...all in all it came off very well.

BTW ~ your name seems familiar, were you a Midwest jumper 30 years ago?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

No, I started my 20 years of jumping at Ft. Lee, VA in 1963. After that it was at Yolo County, CA and Antioch, CA (Perry Stevens old place) for most of the remainder. I did start a club at ElCentro, CA in the late '60s. The last two jumps I made were "illegal" jumps from a C-130 at Suffolk County, VA in 1983. I was one of the Loadmasters on the aircraft and we were dropping the Navy team from Norfolk for practice. I took my gear and was sitting there packing my Strat when a Lieutenant came over and asked if I would like to make a jump with them. I looked at him as if to say, "I'm not even going to dignify that dumbass question with an answer" and talked the Aircraft Commander into it by slightly bending and stretching the rules. Got into a bit of trouble for it later when some butthead old Lt. Col. overheard a conversation on a crewbus and went running to Standardization and Evaluation. Oh well, it was fun. I've still got my Strat and have thought seriously about going and doing it again. All I need is time and money, at the same time.

Thank you to all who responded. Now I will be able to put instructions down on paper so that my partner will know what to do. She has never been around skydiving and wouldn't have a clue about what to do. Be safe all.

Jim

I've participated in an ash dive,with others, for someone that none of us knew. It was requested, and we all did it just out of pure respect for someone's last wishes, and we did it at our own expense.

Someone will be willing to step up and do it. Even easier if it's former friends. And if you provide funding to pay for the jumps, all the better.

Well at least I think I am covered... Asked a friend if he could take care of that for me.. at LP.

Putting it in writing at the lawyers early next week.

Well at least I think I am covered... Asked a friend if he could take care of that for me.. at LP.

You going to have your friend do it on a round parachute with capewells? :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You going to have your friend do it on a round parachute with capewells? :ph34r:

Nah I would not do that to him... although I will specify that if certain people from DIZZY DOT COM want on the jump.... they will need to do that.

Jeanie,

We could do it over McGregor Lake if we could dig up the gear. Hope you're not planning this for the near future.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

thanks, Madjohn. Hopefully this won't be necessary for some time to come. I just like to plan ahead. I'll keep that in mind. Currently Elsinore is probably the closest to where I live but hopefully I can get out of this crap hole state (California for those who don't know) before I croak. I appreciate the information from those who have replied. Thank you all.

Currently Elsinore is probably the closest to where I live but hopefully I can get out of this crap hole state (California for those who don't know) before I croak. I appreciate the information from those who have replied. Thank you all.

:D

Careful what you wish for Spooky...We left So. Cal. for Texas 15 years ago, been tryin' to get back ever since! ;)

Wanna TRADE?! B|

Well, I came back here from Texas in 1985, courtesy of Uncle Sam, and it was O.K. for a while, but the taxes and idiot Liberals in Sacramento have gotten so bad. I like to shoot, especially handguns and those assholes are trying everything they can to take that right away from me. There are currently 47 anti-gun bills in the Legislature, not one of which will save even one life or make the streets safer for us. Why, because the criminal element won't abide by them anyway. I'm just sick of their nonsense. Every time you turn around they are also trying to raise some tax or other. I would gladly go back to Texas or Arizona. Californicate has become the home of the Liberal idiot and it shows.

Well, I came back here from Texas in 1985, courtesy of Uncle Sam, and it was O.K. for a while, but the taxes and idiot Liberals in Sacramento have gotten so bad. I like to shoot, especially handguns and those assholes are trying everything they can to take that right away from me. There are currently 47 anti-gun bills in the Legislature, not one of which will save even one life or make the streets safer for us. Why, because the criminal element won't abide by them anyway. I'm just sick of their nonsense. Every time you turn around they are also trying to raise some tax or other. I would gladly go back to Texas or Arizona. Californicate has become the home of the Liberal idiot and it shows.

All true...but ya got an In & Out on every corner man!
B|B|;)

Actually, the nearest In and Out is about ten miles from me in Victorville. I DO, however, have a Sonic Drive-In less than two miles away and on the way to just about everything. Plus they have cute carhops.