SEREJumper

Round entanglement breakaway at less than 500ft = one lucky SOB!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JS27-xIHO04#!

This has been going around Facebook and I had not seen it on here yet. Steerable rounds, entanglement, looks like the lower jumper deploys his reserve (looks like a PC in the wind), then breakaway at 500ft (scratch that, watched it again, that was way lower than 500! That was LOW) for an open canopy 30ft AGL! Nice camera work keeping him in frame all the way down! ;)
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I watched this a couple times. I'm just wondering if the army is now teaching cut aways??? These were static line jumpers....or am I wrong.

In the old days (when men were men) you were trained to just throw out your reserve in the direction of spin. When you are jumping at low altitudes with two shot capewells, it might be smart never to think of cutting away.

It looked like his main canopy was distorted after a collision with another jumper. Why in the world would he cut away at such a low altitude? Was this an army jumper, cutting away when he was trained to do other wise?

Can anyone add to this???

We used to jump hueys all the time in training. Sometimes we'd exit at 1500 ft. but rarely higher than that. That was forty years ago, so maybe malfunction prodecures, and gear has changed for military static line jumpers.

The US Military is not teaching to breakaway after an entanglement situation and I woul dimagine that this foreign military unit does not teach this also. Probably a guys first jump and thought it was the right thing to do.

It looks like he deployed his reserve, you can see the PC in the video, but I never saw a canopy until he released.

For steerable rounds like these, the military is taught for both jumps to deploy their reserves in an entanglement that they cannot get out of. The most currect technology has a long bridle/pilotchute (much like a modernday throwout PC) and spring. As soon as you pull the reserve ripcord, the spring deploys the PC into the windstream, they don't teach to throw it out anymore (since you don't really have to) for the most part.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

It looks like a suspension line was still on the 2nd jumper when he cut away. He openned his reserve just prior to cutting away. He's one lucky soldier.

It looks like some type of Spanish jump school. Maybe someone else can add to this.

I was driving in Mexico once. I was stopped at a Federally road block. A couple of those young guys looked like they wanted to shoot me with their AK's. They started digging through my wife's underwear, looking for drugs or guns. About then, their leader noticed my USPA sticker, on my car. He pointed at the jump wings on his chest and gave me a big grin. Of course none of them could speak English. He let us go without further adoo. He must have figured if I was a fellow jumper, that I must be okay....

I don't know what percentage of the Mexican army are Airborne. Maybe their training isn't up to ours....

wow, I missed this one in the bonfire...

that was as close as you can cut it...

can anyone translate whats getting yelled? it must be "I just crapped my pants!!"
or something like that:D

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I would suggest following this in BF. It seems we have two different conversations going on. This is a jump being done nowadays. Maybe if you all with old gear experience were to talk with those who have a more recent viewpoint, but maybe this is just wishful thinking. Hey, maybe someone who knows Tagalog could even translate?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Seerejumper,
I reread your reply. I thought you meant paracommander when you said PC. Now, I know you meant pilot chute. That's what happens when I speed read. I think you're right. This was probably a jumper who cut away when he was trained to do otherwise.

I saw a picture once, of a soldier, whose canopy had totally collapsed after a collision with another jumper. His main was still caught on the other soldier. They landed under the one canopy.

Part of the problem with this jump may have been the jumpmaster.....Each jumper should have been tapped out, with enough time to be clear of other jumpers.

I had a buddy in the army who was scared to jump. Hueys scared him even more, when we jumped them. I'd usually jump first. This helped him leave the aircraft. The problem was that as soon as I left, he'd jump too. He wouldn't wait even a second. As soon as I got canopy, there he'd be. It was a wonder we never got entangled.