Krip

Whuffo

Help

Mr Pat Works posted the following in the General Skydiving forum.

Q: the Whuffo conundrum --On first learning you’re a skydiver, what stimulates non-skydivers to proclaim their individual emotions Re. jumping from airplanes? Some react like you’ve touched a nerve. Why do folks describe how they feel about skydiving when they were not asked that question? Any ideas? I’ve wondered for 50 years Whuffo they say that anyhow? . . . Anyone?

I've posted my thoughts on Mr Works question. Now the thread is turning into a international slug fest, that reminded me of SC.

Most of you nice Ladies and Gentlemen have been around a lot more that I have any thought's on MR Works "conundrum".
One Jump Wonder

I've always felt it was a result of the fact that ~99% of the population has never and will never do anything out of the ordinary or adventuresome. Meaning their version of adventuresome falls into the category of driving 3 hrs. ("oh, no, a 'long' road trip" ;-) to go to Kings Dominion or Magic Mtn. and riding on the big scary rollercoaster. That's the thing they would fill in on their questionaire when they fantasize being on Jeopardy. Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but you probably get the gist.

So when confronted with someone who does something they can't even begin to imagine themselves doing, or perhaps they can imagine it, but know they don't have the courage to follow through on, they become defensive. They ask "the question" in the hopes that it paints themselves in a positive light and puts the burden of justification on the "crazy jumper". They need the reassurance that their lack of a risk-taking personality is the norm, that it's OK, that they, themselves are not deficient, but that there must be a screw loose in someone who would throw themselves out of a perfectly good airplane.

I'm not sure how much ignorance as to what jumping entails and learning what the risks actually are (vs. perceived risk) would make much difference to most of them. They simply aren't wired to push through fear in order to do something high-risk.

Jumping isn't the only activity viewed as beyond comprehension. Jumpers themselves will ask their own version of "Whuffo?" when confronted with someone who does something they view as too risky for contemplation, such as extreme skiing, tightrope walking, or high-rise window washing etc...
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hello Nice lady

Haven't I seen you some place.;)

The is where I think the term wuffo came from, its the same that I wrote in the General forum xcept I've made some minor corrections for the usual spelling and grammer error's/

FWIW The first time we heard the term Wuffo was while jumping in Ks and the DZ is sorrounded by farmers.

Farmer walks out . Watch's someone under a parachute landing in his crops, or pasture and exclaims in dismay wuffo?, wuffa or WTF?.

Farmers are hard working folks, multi skilled. working in in a very dangerous occupation and have all different kinds of regional accents.

They have to worry about rustlers, weather, crop prices etc. They don't need some dumb ass jumpers messing with their crops, or livestock or fences.

It costs them $$$$.

Got a idea for another silly thread Stay tuned folks.;)

One Jump Wonder

Gee, whiz, I could have sworn I answered the question you asked in this forum. Silly me! :P

But if the question actually is where did it come from or when did it start--well, then by the time I started jumping ('78), all I ever heard was that it was a slurring/bastardization of "What do you want to---What for do you-----Wuffo you------jump...? "(and we all know the rest). :D

As explained here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko8IQ8LdAgA

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9