steve1

"Can I get you to lean for me"?

Are their any young "Whipper Snappers" who know what that means?..... If you are pushing 60 you are ineligible.

How about, "Do you have some Portia's that I could borrow?"

If you jumped during the 70's you probably know these terms well....

I quit jumping for years and years and then started up again. I was jumping my old gear of course. I showed up with my b-12 container, double zipper jump suit, belly wart, and motorcycle helmet.

Everyone was looking at me with concern...About then I asked another old jumper if he had an extra pair of portias that I could use. He about cracked up laughing. Those things were long since extinct.....

I was thinking about the Portias the other day. I was contemplating their use over my contacts while ski and snowboard racing. Unless it's really cold I don't need full sized goggles.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

I always enjoyed skiing on the edge....going way too fast was fun. Wiping out on hard pack, was no fun, but you soon forgot all about that, and went back to skiing sometimes out of control.

Another old jumper I know skiis that way too. I kept encouraging him to go fast....Two winters ago he broke his neck bad!

He still skydives, but I'm not so sure about the skiing. I've tried to slow down when I'm on the hill since then.

I keep telling everyone that I don't want to fall and break a hip. When you get old you have to worry about stuff like that. I can still beat my daughters to the bottom of the hill though, so I'm not all washed up yet.

I never used portias for skiing. They might work okay....I have jumped them when it was way below freezing. I can't remember them fogging up much.

I always enjoyed skiing on the edge....going way too fast was fun. Wiping out on hard pack, was no fun, but you soon forgot all about that, and went back to skiing sometimes out of control.

Another old jumper I know skiis that way too. I kept encouraging him to go fast....Two winters ago he broke his neck bad!

He still skydives, but I'm not so sure about the skiing. I've tried to slow down when I'm on the hill since then.

I keep telling everyone that I don't want to fall and break a hip. When you get old you have to worry about stuff like that. I can still beat my daughters to the bottom of the hill though, so I'm not all washed up yet.

I never used portias for skiing. They might work okay....I have jumped them when it was way below freezing. I can't remember them fogging up much.

Skiing and snowboarding have pretty much taken over my life. I even got my fifteen minutes of fame in a 2008 issue of Ski Racing Magazine.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

reply]

What, no French paraboots?

Oh, yeah. I had them too. They were long since out of fashion though. I guess I looked like a reincarnated skydiver....

I had a buddy that was making his first few jumps at the time. I later loaned those boots to him, because I figured he needed them more. I decided that I could jump a P.C. with tennis shoes.

A few jumps later, I had a malfunction and tried to land a wildly oscillating 24 ft. reserve into a rock pile. I sprained both ankles bad. I limped back up to the air strip, and caught a ride back to the hanger in our plane. I think I would have been okay, if I had only had my frenchies. I loved those old boots....